Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
terryfree91 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HOw to install windows 10 on a 320-1030 Desktop pc

touchsmart 230-1030 pc
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I just looking for information on how to install windows 10 on my Touchsmart 320-1030 PC. The PC is only 2-4-year-old and runs great. What steps do I need to take, in order to install windows 10 on this device?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Provost Provost
Provost
14031 1327 3147
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HOw to install windows 10 on a 320-1030 Desktop pc

terryfree91

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Personally, I would advise AGAINST doing the Win10 Upgrade ... for two reasons ...

First, WIN10 Upgrade is no longer free.  You will be paying at least $100 USD to install an OS that might not work well on your PC.  That's a lot to spend only to have an OS that is worse than what you have now.

Second, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC.  This is serious, as Microsoft only installs drivers with the most basic functions, and without HP drivers, it's very likely that one or more functions, especially video, will not work properly or fully.  And if this happens, you're stuck because HP is no longer producing drivers for the pre-Win10 PCs.

But ... if you are DETERMINED to do the upgrade, consider using a third-party imaging/restoration application like Macrium Reflect to image off your machine so you can easily restore it if anything doesn't work.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

NOW, if the Win10v Upgrade goes badly, you have the means to restore your Win8 working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation