Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP1300T Optical Disk Drive
Microsoft Windows XP

We are running Windows XP and have connected the device.  We can see the drive and the disk, but we can't access the files.  Please help us locate a driver. Please also help me get this message to an appropriate board.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

> We are running Windows XP and have connected the device.  

> We can see the drive and the disk, but we can't access the files.  

> Please help us locate a driver.

> Please also help me get this message to an appropriate board.

1. This is an appropriate board -- the same "experts" hang-out on multiple boards.

2. Device-drivers for optical devices were needed for Windows 3.1, but are included in Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/8/10.

3. Can you read the files from the media on some other computer?

4. Is it a data-DVD, a DVD-video, a music-CD, or a data-CD?

5. Can your optical drive read DVD media?

6. Under XP, if you open "My Computer", do you see an icon, and an assigned drive-letter, for the optical device?

If you double-click the icon, do you hear the internal motor spin the media, or can you feel some vibration as it spins?

7. Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP about 36 months ago, and stopped support of Windows Vista one week ago.  It's time for you to consider replacing your computer (which would include a replacement of your optical device).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.