cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP 310-1020 post Windows 10 upgrade, blue screen loop, error: System_thread_exception_not_handled

HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 310-1020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
  1. After upgrading successfully from Windows 7, my PC ran fine for several weeks then when I tried to turn it on last week it would not load Windows and it gave me a blue screen with the message: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. You can restart. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.  I have talked to Microsoft and they said that the PC was not compatible with Windows 10 so I tried to load Windows 7 using my previous Windows7 Home Premium upgrade disc but nothing new happened. I also tried to restart with my back up disc in the cd drive and again, I could hear the CD whirl around but nothing ever happened and eventually it stopped. I do have a new blue screen that is coming up. It begins with an HP screen that says I could use F10 for setup, ESC for Boot Menu, etc... The problem is that none of those will work. None of the "F" keys are doing anything!  After a few seconds on the HP splash, it switches over to theWindows 10 screen that tells me to "choose your keyboard layout" but I can't enter any choice or progress from that screen.  Any advice? I would be very happy to return to Windows 7!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
5,851 5,326 350 631
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Frustr8d,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I came across your post about the blue screen issue, and wanted to help!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Are you able to get into the Operating System at all?  If so, you can try using the Go back to an earlier build option, in your System Settings: HP Notebook PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10

Keep in mind that this option is only available for 28 days, after the installation of Windows 10.  If you are still having trouble, or you are not able to get into the Operating System, then you can try performing a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings.  Try changing the boot order in the BIOS, in order to boot from the Optical Drive.  You can use the following document to assist you: HP PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS

Please post back with the results.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Father-in-law has exact same problem, same computer. Did you ever find a solution? I could not understand the reply you received....thank you.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation