Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1443
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

A friend of my parents recently gave them this PC without any background and they gave it to me. When trying to boot it up, after a few seconds it just gives 6 long beeps alongside 6 orange flashes of the power LED. After that it goes back to blue, and nothing is displayed on the screen.

After a lot of looking around people seem to say it is a graphics card issue, but this PC does not have a graphics card and never did (warranty seal was still on it when I got it). I have tried two different graphics cards in it (HD 6950 and GT 520) and both graphics cards along with integrated graphics still give the 6 beeps.

Some sources say it's the Secure Boot that needs to be disabled in the BIOS, but I can not get into the BIOS. Even by pressing F2 or F10 on startup, it still has the same result of going straight to the 6 beeps and blank screen.

I have tried reseating the CPU (i3-3220), swapping it out for an i5-2500, trying different sticks of RAM, and different hard drives. Still nothing, every time booting up it gives the 6 beeps.

Any help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Have you tried resetting the BIOS settings?

HP Recommended

Yes.  After pulling CMOS battery to reset BIOS it still does the same thing.

HP Recommended

Hi, @aniallation :

You are correct that you can't add a non-HP video card (one that would have come with that PC as an option), unless you go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot on any HP PC that comes with W8 or newer from the factory.

Apparently the onboard Intel graphics adapter on the motherboard has failed, which is why you are getting the 6 beep code with no graphics card installed.

Here is the parts list for that model and unfortunately, there are no optional add on HP graphics cards listed, so I can't tell you which one might work.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=H3Y60AA

I would say the problem cannot be overcome unless you get a new motherboard with working graphics, which may be like throwing good money after bad.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.