cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
spiderdawg
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

HP 700-056 ram failure? 16GB PNY XLR8 DDR3 1600 2x 8GB PC3-12800 240p Non-ECC

HP Recommended

I have an Envy 700-056 64bit running windows 8.1. After removing original ram and substituting 16GB PNY XLR8 DDR3 1600 2x 8GB PC3-12800 240p Non-ECC, machine will not start. Two attempts resulted in blank screens. When finally got error message, it was something about "invalid signature" or some such nonsense no layman could ever understand. This memory is supposedly compatible with this machine. When new memory is removed and old memory reinstalled, machine functions normally. What's up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Checkurtech
Level 8
1,506 603 80 153
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 

Firstly try and boot from 1 stick of the new RAM module and see if it boots , If not then try the same procedure using the stick you have not tried and see if it boots . Could be a faulty stick of RAM and if so you will need to send it back to supplier . 

Checkurtech

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
Checkurtech
Level 8
1,506 603 80 153
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi 

Firstly try and boot from 1 stick of the new RAM module and see if it boots , If not then try the same procedure using the stick you have not tried and see if it boots . Could be a faulty stick of RAM and if so you will need to send it back to supplier . 

Checkurtech

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

View solution in original post

spiderdawg
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks! Same solution was recommended by seller and one bank of memory works.  When inserting the other bank, the full message reads "invalid signature detected. check secure boot policy in setup." Now, of course, I can't find setup! The F10 key that I used in  windows 7 for setup doesn't work in 8.1. So that's my current problem. Also, if it's helpful, in addition to getting the setup message, my screen displays three other lines: "checking media presence.....;media present.....;start PXE over IPv4." Very informative, I suppose but not so clear to me!

spiderdawg
Author
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Problem solved! I found the setup in Windows 8.1 with the aid of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZcYbxOcPV0

Everything I changed in relation to BIOS, invalid signatures, etc. has been returned to original settings, except I did request that the machine display the BIOS startup on screen just so I could monitor what was going on. Guess this embarrassed the machine, for when I switched the non-working stick into the slot where the working unit had been and restarted and then introduced the working stick into the slot where the non-working stick had been, both memory banks worked. If you don't understand why this worked, join the crowd! If you do, I'd be interested to hear from you.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation