Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteDesk 800 G2
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Need to find out how to boot from a CD/DVD on a HP EliteDesk 800 G2.

What I have allready tried :

- Disable UEFI support Enable Legacy support

- Clear Secure Boot Keys

- Reset Boot keys to factory default

- Disable MS UEFI CA key

- Disable UEFI boot order

- Move SATA0 to top of boot order list

I'm perfectly aware that I'm trying to install a server OS on a workstation but it is not up to HP to decide or to force the customer in the direction of a specific OS.

Our company certified this workstation to be used as a cheap solution for RODC usage but now we are looking for other vendors who are cabable of providing a flexible workstation regarding OS choice.

In short, I don't want it to boot from the pre-installed OS, I need it to boot from DVD, from USB or from Network boot.

Please help?

Thanks.

Regards,

Jelle

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is most likely your problem...

See the post below...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/can-not-install-win...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply but I'm trying to boot from a DVD so I don't really see the link between this problem and a failing keyboard / mouse when the boot process has allready started.

I would just like to see the option "Press any key to boot from DVD..." as I can see when I insert the DVD in an older HP workstation / laptop or test workstations from different vendor.

Regards,

Jelle

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You will need to transfer your DVD to a bootable USB flash drive and run that tool from Intel, then try to boot from the flash drive.

The steps you have taken should have allowed you to boot from a DVD, so unfortunately, I have no idea why that isn't happening.

The bottom line is...even if you get the PC to boot from your Windows Server 2008 DVD, you will be dead in the water anyway--just like the other guy was.

HP Recommended

I do have a question and a suggestion for you regarding the not being able to boot from a DVD issue...

Did you try tapping the ESC key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the menu of options?

There you should see the F9 boot options menu, and you can select that, and then see if when you select the DVD drive if it will boot from the DVD.

The suggestion I have is perhaps you can ask that other forum member how he got his G2 to boot from a DVD, as clearly he had no problem with that on the same PC as yours.

HP Recommended

Yes I know how to get into the BIOS but I don't know how to get rid of secure UEFI boot and just do a legacy boot from a DVD for example which works perfectly fine on a HP 800 G1.

I have asked Vezakias how he managed to get a G2 to boot from DVD.

HP Recommended

I'll be interested in knowing what he says too...

I have the older 8200 Elite with a UEFI BIOS, and I had to select the legacy DVD drive from the list of bootable devices.

But I still suggest you get that ISO onto a usb flash drive, run the Intel USB 3 driver tool and see if you can install Windows Server.

Any idea where you are going to find the drivers for that?

On R2, I would have said to try the W7 drivers, but on the plain 2008 version, there are no comparable Vista drivers for that model.

HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Sorry to report but it was taking too long for me to figure this out so management decided to go for a different vendor.

Regards,

Jelle

HP Recommended

I can understand your decision.

We have the same issues with new HP desktops and laptops 😞

We can't boot with a CD nor with a bootable USB.

What was wrong with hitting the F8 key and choose your startup device.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.