cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JFarrior7905
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP 8000 CD-ROMs shorting out

HP Recommended
HP 8000 Elite
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

We've had about 5 cases over the last few months of HP 8000 PCs starting to smoke. Upon opening them up we found the CD drive where the SATA cable connects has burn marks where an electrical short has occurred. In most cases the user was not using the CD drive at the time the smoking started so we are worried this will happen at night when a user has forgotten to shut their PC down and cause a fire.

Is there anything known about what is causing this?

I found a ticket with this same problem from close to 3 months ago- (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/8000-CMT-CD-Rom-drive-and-power-cables-shorting-out-an...)- but the topic starter was informed of a solution via a PM so I can't see what the resolution was.

If anyone else has any info for me I would greatly appreciate it.

2 REPLIES 2
JFarrior7905
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still no ideas from anyone?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
MCHP-Darwin
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We have the same issue and trying to contact  HP for a resolution..

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation