Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After a long time of trying things and testing we have the solution to our problem at our site. 

We are using the HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC 64bit with Intel Core i3.  We updated the BIOS to J01 v02.15 and this seems to have solved the problem. 

None of the computers updated to this BIOS level has hung and we are in the 4th week with no problems for some of our computers.  Currently we have them rebooting M-F at 4am.

I hope this helps some of the others with this problem.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if RickUTS meant Bios update v2.15.... but HP did release Bios v2.16 on 30 March 2012 which "Contains code updates intended to reduce the likelihood of certain system boot failures." according to the Fixes information on it http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=hr&prodTypeId=12....

I'm hoping this is the silver bullet to this problem.  I'll be updating several PC's as a test later today if nothing else gets in the way.

HP Recommended

I am not seeing the 2.16 BIOS on the HP website.  I only see 2.15 from November.  Is it just me or did they perhaps remove the newer version for some reason?

After testing 2.15 on several machines with good results, we installed 2.15 on our 180 machines and I am not sure if it fixed the issue properly or not.  I have gotten a couple of reports from users of still getting the 'hang', but due to some other circumstances I am not totally convinced that these are the same issue.

A BIOS update that really addresses the issue in its description would have been nice to try, but I don't see it on the website.  Want to know if others can get to it or not, so please let me know...

HP Recommended

wow, looks like HP pulled bios 2.16 from the site.  i downloaded it already but haven't installed it yet.  guess I'll wait until they re-release it as it must be buggy.

HP Recommended
This might be related: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03008800&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...
I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  I have been working with a group of HP 8200 SFFs running Windows XP and I have the same problem.  Did updating the BIOS work as a long term solution for anyone?  It looks like the most recent version of BIOS is still 2.15.  What about Installing / messing with the HECI drivers that RasterBlaster mentioned, anyone have any success with that?

HP Recommended
Decumanus, at what point does the computer hang durring shutdown? Is it right after you click shutdown and before the computer powers off? Or is it after the computer has been powered off and when you turn it back on?
HP Recommended

At this time I am unaware of a solution. That being said I wanted to verify that the issue you all is describing is the same issue that we have at my organization. Issue details below.

HP 8200 Elite SSF

When shutting down or restarting the system after being on for a period of time (this varies but typically 24+hrs) the system will hang on shutdown. The keyboard and mouse and all other peripherals are powered down and unresponsive. If the system is configured with a discrete graphics card (add on card) then the monitor will go black, however, if it is using the onboard video then an image will continue to be displayed (the windows shutdown screen). At this point the system fans may still be spinning and the power light is still lit though there is no hard drive activity and again the keyboard and mouse are all unresponsive. The only way to shut the system down is to hold the power button in for several seconds at this point. The system can then be restarted and there are no error messages as the system starts back up as though shutdown was successful.

In my organization we have quite a few systems that are experiencing this issue. If this matches the description you are having please respond to this post as confirmation as I am being told my HP that we are the only ones with this issue as no one else has confirmed onboard video still displaying.

Additionally if you are having this same issue then you may like to know that we are currently working with HP 3LS to find a cause/solution. As of yesterday July 11 2012 attempts to access test systems with this issue via null modem cable by HP techs is unsuccessful. They have upgraded the BIOS to 2.21, disabled AMT and removed a legacy drive from the system in hopes that on the next test shutdown the system may actually shutdown.

HP Recommended

djanuary, that is exactly the issue we are experiencing at our company with the hp 8200 elite SFF PC's.

And if HP believes you are the only one experiencing that issue, that is a bunch of crap.

Although with our on-board video, we experience both black screen and a windows desktop screen in shutdown mode (all desktop blue, as unopposed to BSOD blue).

I'll need to read up on the release notes for BIOS after 2.15, because I remember reading on 2.16 before HP pulled it that it was supposed to address this issue.

HP Recommended

Matt thanks for the reply.

I am forwarding this to our HP support links to their 3LS. I would highly suggest that those of you with this issue contact your HP support and get your issues linked to ours.

EDIT: spelling

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.