Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF fitted with 4Gb Ram type PC3-12800 and 2X2 Gb Ram type PC3-10600 and it work s fine with i5 CPU, does that mean the PC3-12800 is compatible with this model?otherwise I intend to upgrade ram shall I add more PC3-12800 or PC3-10600?

I appreciate help and answer to my question. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Mixing memory densities (i.e. 4 GB and 2GB modules) on a motherboard is a poor practice and may disappoint you by corrupting the data on your hard disk someday. It is akin to rolling the dice.

Four identical guaranteed compatible memory modules is the best way to go. See the Crucial compatible modules at the following web document. The upgrade to 16 GB is pretty inexpensive considering what it brings to the table.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-fac...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Mixing memory densities (i.e. 4 GB and 2GB modules) on a motherboard is a poor practice and may disappoint you by corrupting the data on your hard disk someday. It is akin to rolling the dice.

Four identical guaranteed compatible memory modules is the best way to go. See the Crucial compatible modules at the following web document. The upgrade to 16 GB is pretty inexpensive considering what it brings to the table.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/hp-compaq-8200-elite-small-form-fac...

Thank you for the help,Kudos left to thank you.

Can I use PC3-1288 RAM in this model or had to be PC3-10600 as stated in the manual?

Can I mix 4GB PC3-12800 and 4Gb PC3-10600 in this model?

The link you send me to crucial ram shows that PC3-12800 can be used for this model?

Thank you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

HP Recommended

@himaryuk wrote:

@erico wrote:

Thank you for the help,Kudos left to thank you.

Can I use PC3-1288 RAM in this model or had to be PC3-10600 as stated in the manual? If Crucial says DDR3 PC3-12800 then you can believe it. They have tested their memory with the laptop.

Can I mix 4GB PC3-12800 and 4Gb PC3-10600 in this model? No. It is not a good practice.

The link you send me to crucial ram shows that PC3-12800 can be used for this model? They test the configuration and stake their company reputation on their guaranteed compatible memory modules.

Thank you.

The best way to upgrade and have it work as expected the very first power on is to always use absolutely identical and guaranteed compatible memory modules. Mix and matching module bandwiths, capacities and brands is not a good practice.

Let the memory manufacturers test configurations in their labs. That way you are not risking having no-boot scenarios and possibly corrupting data on your hard drive.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for the further information.

The HP Technical Reference guidesay that this model support memory with CAS CL7 and CL9, the PC3-12800 has CL11, I have used this RAM of PC3-12800 in my PC and it was working fine, but the issue I had problem with windows 10 that freezes and crashed so i have to reinstall again,Microsoft support could not identify the problem.will the PC3-12800 ram works as under clock or over clock to meet the PC speed and will this effects the ram after sometime?

thank you.

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Hi again,I have browsed HP service manual for this model and it appear that mixing memory is possible provided the total memory installed in channel A is equal to the total memory installed in Channel B and that the PC will work in high performing dual channel mode, if this is the case then my mixing of memory should be no problem,but no information about the support to use ram of PC3-12800, I am not sure if this memory when installed it will work at different clock of lower speed,though it works but may not be the correct speed,please let me know.

thank you.

HP Recommended

I have browsed Crucial web site it shows list of all compatible ram they have for this model,in fact not only PC3-12800 but also PC3-14900 and PC3-17000 was listed as compatible, if they have tested it on laptop my question is about Desktop SFF, they said the crucial make are tested compatible but why the other make should also work.any more help appreciated.thank you

HP Recommended

Mixing of memory frequencies and memory modules densities ,  has been found to not be  a good practice to follow. 

It increases the risk of  a no-boot scenario.  

HP tests the combination of very specific RAM modules in a laboratory and does QA stress tests to ensure they will work. HP has deep pockets, their reputation and Engineering technicians and Engineers performing those QA tests.

It's middling OK if you realize that the bank that the modules are installed in will default to the module with the lower clock frequency. So if you install two modules, PC3-12800 and PC3-10600, the memory bank will only run at 10600 MHz.

If you are able to find guaranteed compatible memory modules from another manufacturer, that is also a great plan.

I just found some guaranteed memory modules and put the information in front of you as a recommended suggestion, because I am certain they will work properly the first time.

Its your money, time and perhaps frustration and possible disappointment.  Choose your own path to follow.  All  we  can do here is try to help and guide you along paths that we know will succeed. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.