Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 2 (2,251 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Compaq dc7100 CMT hard drive upgrade

I have a HP Compaq dc7100 CMT that came with a 40 GB SATA hard drive. I upgraded without any problem the hard drive about 2 years ago with a 500 GB SATA that was automatically recognised by the BIOS and has been working flawlessly since. Last week, I had a deal on a Western Digital WD30EZRX 3 TB hard drive. However, when I connected the hard drive as a secondary drive, the BIOS only recognised it as a 801 GB hard drive.

I tried one jumper on the drive limiting the transfer speed and one called “Advance Format Drives” (apparently for achieving full performance under Windows XP), but the BIOS keeps seeing the drive as a 801 GB hard drive.

Since I am running Windows 2003 (I use the machine as a small server), I was hoping that the operating system would see the entire capacity of the drive regardless of the BIOS with the GUID Partition Table (GPT), but the drive is still seen as 801 GB.

A friend of mine suggested that I use a HighPoint Rocket 620 PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card (apparently suggested by Western Digital as a workaround to install large drives in legacy systems), but before I go ahead and order the card, I wanted to know if anyone had some advice on this. According to another friend, the controller card option will not work and, based on the 800 GB size, the HP BIOS is probably limiting the size by a modulo 2.2. He thinks my best option is to fit the 3 TB hard drive in an external USB case that would do the proper translation and fool the system and give me access to the full capacity of the drive.

Any hint appreciated.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP Compaq dc7100 CMT hard drive upgrade

Some time has passed since I posted my original message, but unfortunately nobody had anything to share. Anyways, since I found a working solution by myself, I thought I would come back and share my findings with other users who may be faced with a similar situation.

I went ahead and purchased a PCI Express controller card (a StarTech PEXSAT32 -- a 2 port SATA 6 Gbps SATA Controller under $40). I installed the controller, turned on the computer, installed the drivers with the supplied CD (I run Windows 2003 Serve, but apparently no drivers are needed for Windows 7), powered off the computer, installed the drive, powered on the computer and voilà!, Windows could see the entire 3 TB of my drive. I converted the drive to GPT (as opposed to MBR) and could enjoy a nice 3 TB partition.

Some friends were very skeptical about the controller card approach and recommended that I go with an external USB HDD case, but quite frankly, not only was I afraid to loose too much speed, I did not like the idea of have an external HDD lying around the computer at all times. The StarTech PEXSAT32 along with the Western Digital WD30EZRX 3 TB hard drive made worked like a charm in my HP Compaq dc7100 CMT and will allow me to use this solid machine for a few more years as a small home office server, mainly used to share files.

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
Top Student
Message 2 of 2 (2,081 Views)

Re: HP Compaq dc7100 CMT hard drive upgrade

Some time has passed since I posted my original message, but unfortunately nobody had anything to share. Anyways, since I found a working solution by myself, I thought I would come back and share my findings with other users who may be faced with a similar situation.

I went ahead and purchased a PCI Express controller card (a StarTech PEXSAT32 -- a 2 port SATA 6 Gbps SATA Controller under $40). I installed the controller, turned on the computer, installed the drivers with the supplied CD (I run Windows 2003 Serve, but apparently no drivers are needed for Windows 7), powered off the computer, installed the drive, powered on the computer and voilà!, Windows could see the entire 3 TB of my drive. I converted the drive to GPT (as opposed to MBR) and could enjoy a nice 3 TB partition.

Some friends were very skeptical about the controller card approach and recommended that I go with an external USB HDD case, but quite frankly, not only was I afraid to loose too much speed, I did not like the idea of have an external HDD lying around the computer at all times. The StarTech PEXSAT32 along with the Western Digital WD30EZRX 3 TB hard drive made worked like a charm in my HP Compaq dc7100 CMT and will allow me to use this solid machine for a few more years as a small home office server, mainly used to share files.

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation