cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP DESKTOP 420Z Workstation- Loud Fan- Sees Power light come on but wont boot up

My HP420Z Workstation worked fine until it didn't. When I boot now all I get is a loud whirring noise after about a minute or so.

I have a clean machine (no dust) 

I have tried reseating all the cables, 

Remove and replace memory

Remove replace battery

Resetting CMOS

Reseating Video card

Removing USB cables and seeing if any change in symptoms

Computer is HP factory refurb just over a year old (380 days)

Was going to buy a power supply and see if that is the problem but I live in isolated area with limited access to mail or UPS.

Any suggestions on what else I might check?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
114,709 104,887 16,555 25,397
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP DESKTOP 420Z Workstation- Loud Fan- Sees Power light come on but wont boot up

Hi:

Those are pretty complicated Workstation PC's. 

You may also want to post your question on the HP Business Support Forum -  z Workstations section.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Workstations-z-series-xw-series/bd-p/bsc-272#.VFVWrjh0zGg

I would say the motherboard is shot.

0 Kudos
Level 1
8 7 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

SOLVED - NOT MOTHERBOARD

AND I see this issue has come up with others.

I had 8 sticks of memory and found that one of them was bad.

Strange thing is that in the past memory issues always gave me a beep

on start up. AND while the memory seemed ok on Ramtest

I took all sticks out and added them back in one at a time.

Only One of them would cause the machine to not boot and loud whirring sound.

Running fine with 2GB less of memory. (Memory was factory install from HP- 380 days old)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
114,709 104,887 16,555 25,397
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi:

Glad you figured it out.

That was one bad-azz chip.

I had the same thing happen to me too on a Dell Dimension 4700, but the memory worked and the PC would randomly crash.

Used the same trial and error method to test the sticks and found the culprit as well.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation