Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HPE Model h8-1050
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
Hello all,

I have an HP Pavilion h8-1050 running Windows 7 that I purchased in 2011. I decided to upgrade the graphics card to be able to handle a new game (PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds) so I got an NVIDIA GTX670 from a friend and uninstalled the drivers for the factory AMD graphics card and put the GTX670 in.

I'm now stuck at the blue HP logo screen that says to press ESC for the startup menu. Pressing ESC after some time does nothing but if pressed right away, it goes to a black screen with white text that gives PC info.

I have read that it may be a motherboard issue but have spoken to both NVIDIA and HP customer service and neither have a solution so I thought I'd try here. I upgraded the power supply to a 750W before swapping the graphics cards.

I can provide any additional info. needed for a recommendation or solution.

Thanks for any help!
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Anders1

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are unable to boot after installing the NVidia GTX670 graphics card on the computer.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Are you able to boot to Windows if you remove the NVidia graphics card?
  • Is the AMD graphics card still installed on the computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you to boot to bios and check whether the NVidia graphics card is detected. If the graphics card is not detected then I recommend you to reseat the graphics card and check if it helps.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hello and thank you for replying.

If I remove the NVIDIA graphics card and insert the factory AMD graphics card, I am able to boot the desktop normally.

Before inserting the new NVIDIA card, I uninstalled the AMD drivers and software.

I've tried reseating the NVIDIA graphics card but still get the same issue.
HP Recommended
Also, I am unable to boot to bios to see if my desktop detects the new card as the issue is that the desktop gets stuck at the hp logo screen and can not get to bios or any other screen besides the black screen mentioned in my original post.
HP Recommended

Hi @Anders1

It looks like the graphics card is not supported. However, I recommend you to update the bios on the computer from the link below and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I had an HP h8 1360 CTO with the same problem.

Installed an Nvidia graphics card that was not an option at purchase. The PC would not recognize the card.

Checked BIOS settings. The new card was compatible, that is, no BIOS issues with respect to Legacy BIOS or UEFI BIOS. But the PC choked at boot with the new graphics card installed. The PC booted fine with the factory AMD card installed in the x16 PCIe slot. Go figure?

My PC was manufactured around 2012.

I think the h8 series HP PC's were very touchy with graphics card upgrades.

Grzy

HP Recommended

The_Fossette, 

Thanks for taking the time to work on this. I have recently updated the BIOS before making any changes since I'd read there were some known issues with that. You mentioned my graphics card is not supported. Is there a list or database of any known aftermarket graphics cards that are compatible with my particular model HP desktop? 

HP Recommended

@grzwacz

Were you ever able to resolve the issue? If so, how did you do it?

Anders

HP Recommended

Hi Anders1

No, could not solve it. The replacement graphics card was correct for the PC's BIOS. Could not find, and tried many BIOS tweaks, any BIOS setting to get the PC to boot with the new graphics card.

I gave up and bought a replacement graphics card identical to the one that came with the PC. The factory card was on it's way out!

Have had newer HP PC's with no isuues when upgrading graphics.

Grzy

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette,

I have reinstalled the factory AMD graphics card and have updated my BIOS as instructed.  When viewing the BIOS on the HP website here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1000-desktop-pc-series/5080764/m... it says the version is 7.12 Rev A and the release date is 2/6/2012.  I downloaded and installed the .exe and it said it was installed correctly, but when viewing the BIOS using msinfo32 on my PC, it shows the current BIOS version is 7.12 and the date of 10/12/2011.

I've given up on upgrading the graphics card on my HP product, but I'd like to make sure everything else is in good shape.  Any recommendations on this BIOS issue?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.