cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PCbuilder
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Diagnostic error BIOHD-1

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P6310y desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I just installed a hard drive into my HP pavilion P6310y computer that has Windows 10 on it. I noticed that the hard drive was spinning down during boot and would not get to the logon screen. I did a force shutdown on the computer, then turned it back on. Once again, the hard drive had spun down. Another forced shutdown later, I turn on the computer, it's stuck at the BIOS screen. The computer has no case fan currently, so I press F2 to attempt to continue. The computer was stuck there. I pushed the power button to turn it off, then let it sit inactive (powered off) for about 10 minutes. When I turn on the computer and press F2, ignoring the fan error, the computer just started beeping at me. I press F2 once again, not caring about what's wrong with the boot. Instead of showing the Windows logo, I get a disk read error telling me to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart. I press the corresponding keys to reboot the computer, then press F2 once again. The computer is still stuck at the BIOS screen. I turn it off once again and let it sit inactive for another 10 minutes. I then turn on the computer, pressed F2, then pressed F9 to enter diagnostics. I skip the processor and RAM tests so I could see what's wrong with the hard drive. It tests my primary drive, which is a Western Digital 320 GB hard disk. I look at the front of the case for any disk activity. The disk light only flashes once or twice before the disk test was done. I got a result of "Failed" with an error code of BIOHD-1. I looked at another support article about a similar computer - HP pavilion slimline. A person suggested making sure all Serial ATA cables were connected properly. I reconnected all cables - both on the motherboard and the hard disk. I power on the computer, then press F2 to attempt to continue. Computer's still stuck at the BIOS screen. This time, I left the computer inactive for about 2 hours. Even after 2 hours of inactivity, the computer is still stuck at the BIOS screen. I cannot enter recovery, cannot enter setup, cannot enter the diagnostics, and I cannot enter the boot menu! I'm completely stuck at the BIOS screen. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,608 10,604 990 2,987
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The error code after the diagnostics usually indicates a hard drive failure although it could possibly be a controller failure.  All  of the symptoms point to the hard drive failing.

"I just installed a hard drive into my HP pavilion P6310y computer that has Windows 10 on it."  Does that mean that Windows was installed on this drive but not while it was in place in the P6310y ?  Or does that mean Windows 10 install media was present on the drive?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
PCbuilder
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I had Windows 10 installed onto the hard drive. I had heard no signs of the drive failing. No clicking or grinding heard at all. Drive's completely fine. Could be the SATA controller. Thanks!
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation