Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Duane11 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Diagnostics SMART Short Self Test failed

I have been having some odd minor malfunctions while using Web Mail, MS EXCEL, and a few other issues. I ran the HP Diagnostics all passed except SMART Short Self Test which failed and the code HD521-2W was listed. My computer is a 2009 HP desktop model p6210t. Could this be causing the minor issues that I am experiencing? How important is the SMART Short Self Test & what does it test for?? 

8 REPLIES
Associate Dean Associate Dean
Associate Dean
5903 465 1559
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The failure ID will either be a Smart or Disk Self Test failure - both would indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and will need to be replaced.

If your unit is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know.

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your hard drive may fail:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/SMART-Short-Self-Test-Failed-Error-Code-HD521-2W/td-p/...

After you backup your data, try to make a set of recovery disks if you can. Then download a drive certification test from the manufacturer of the hard drive (not HP but the company listed on the hard drive).  Make a bootable cd from the iso image you downloaded and use it to test your drive.  The manufacturer's disk can fix bad sectors and minor errors but you want to get you data safe before you go to this step if possible.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Duane11 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. I find it difficult to believe that a 2 & 1/2 year old HP computer that is used only a few hours a week could have such a major problem (so soon). The issues have been very minor, but annoying up to this point - What might I suspect as far as future/more serious problems?

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anything made by man can fail at any time.  A notebook hard drive because it must be small, light weight and move at 5400 or 7200 rpms (faster than an automobile). The head floats less than a human hair from the surface so a bump could send the head crashing into the media.  An electrical surge from static or power problems could weaken or damage components. Sometimes I think it is more amazing that they work at all.  The hard drive could have a bad sector or corruption due to writing during a loss of power. Download the manufacturer's free drive certification test and create a bootable cd from the downloaded iso image. Put it in your DVD/CD and run the full test.  It can fix bad sectors and minor problems with the drive. I would still run a check disk and check the try to recover bad sectors box.  Of course, now is the time to make sure you have a backup of all your important data and have made a set of recovery disks.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Duane11 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had just completed a backup a few weeks ago & will do another. I had made a set of recovery disks when purchased on 12/1/09 - will I need another set? I will attempt the other processes, but may take this unit to a professional. I am very grateful; Impressed with your knowledge and generosity- don't see that kindness much lately.
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Not unless you are like me and don't trust only one set.  I always like to plan on a disaster.

Highlighted
Duane11 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Manjunath Tech, thank you for your your generosity of your time, prompt reply, sharing your professional skills, and kindness - qualities that have become rare in today's business world. In gratitude, Duane
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2520 150 517
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My wife told me I had to do it.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation