Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 23 TouchSMART AiO Pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My HP ENVY 23 TouchSMART AiO Pc is no longer working.  When I power on nothing appears on the screen at all - it remains black at all times. 

I can hear the fan or something inside making noises so it's getting some sort of power.   I have to hold down the power button to switch it off.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can bring it back to life please?  All my data is backed up so I'm happy with any extreme options.

Cheers,

Andy

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

CI took my pc into currys and they checked and confirmed the hard drive is ok and working. They suspect its the motherboard which sounds pricey to replace?

HP Recommended
Ever resolved???
HP Recommended

I now have two HP Envy 23 Touchsmart AIO pc's at my house with the same problem.  I have taken the hard drives out of both and they boot fine using a USB docking station attached to another computer.  But when I put the back into the HP Envy 23 I get no screen.  I have ordered a USB to VGA cable to try and attach an external monitor but I don't think the USB are working so not sure how that will turn out.  It seems like the drive is booting but there is not display. I will let you know how it goes.  Cable arrives tomorrow.

HP Recommended

unplug all cables from computer. take motherboard battery out.  set the cmos/bios jumpers into the reset position and leave computer alone for about 30 minutes. when u return to computer. replace battery to motherboard. put the jumpers back into the correct position. plug power, keyboard and mouse into computer and give it power. it should boot up just fine. if it does, the first thing to do when u get back online is update your BIOS or this will continue happening. good luck and let me know how u make out

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response but I have done the CMOS battery and jumpers already.  Unfortunately, that did not help. I have also removed the RAM along with the battery.  

HP Recommended

there is another post in these forums with other people having the same exact issue as u, i (we) seem to be having and i was about ready to give up. i also tried resetting the jumpers a whole **bleep**load of times and it wasnt working. another gentleman just told me to keep trying so i did and it finally worked after doing it a gazillion times. do u have power? fans are spinning, hard drive is on? etc? but when u plug anything in usb it isnt detected right? thats what i had. so i just did what i said above and took the battery out from the slot on the motherboard, put the jumper into reset position and just left it alone for a good 30 minutes and when i plugged her back in she worked, mind u i had to do this numerous times. and i finally got it down to a method because it just kept on happening until i finally updated my BIOS and now it doesnt happen anymore. i also went back to windows 8.1 because windows 10 was nothing but a headache. keep trying. i know its stressful but you will get it. like i said, i was ready to toss it out the window i was soo pissed but tried again one morning and she powered up, i was amazed. just make sure there is no power to the pc when u set the jumpers, and just leave it for an hour, even over night. it will eventually work if its the same issue most of us were having in the other thread. u updated to windows 10 and it went kerplunk right? good luck, hope u get it

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I will try the jumpers and battery again leaving it out overnight tonight.  I did upgrade to Windows 10 when it first came out.  Everything has been fine for 8 months.  

Yes there is power lighs, fans running and hard drive is cranking.  No luck with USB as you stated.

I will let you know tomorrow if the battery/jumper works.

HP Recommended

as a wise man once said to me in another thread on this same forum for the same problem, DO  NOT GIVE UP! YOU WILL GET IT!!

Make sure there is no power whatsoever to the pc when u do the jumpers. it cant be plugged in. im sure u knew that, but just incase u didnt....leave everything completely unplugged when doing it. and definintely give it time to clear. sometimes power lingers in the capacitators and such not allowing it to truly reset the cmos thats why i even take the battery out from the mother board and leave the jumper in the reset position.

HP Recommended

and my guess was one of the recent updates on windows 10 is what caused the problem. my problem started about 3 weeks ago, maybe more i forget.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.