Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Ok, so I took out the CMOS battery and reset the jumper and left it that way all night.  Still nothing.  I have been repeating the process every hour this morning for 4 hours.  Still nothing.  And this is 2 of the same computer.  I should receive the USB to VGA cabel tomorrow but I'm not sure the monitor I connect will function since it appears the USB doesn't function,  Arggg!  I will continue with the CMOS reset through tomorrow checking as frequently as I can today and the if I still have a blank screen I will leave it set overnight again.

Although I have to admit screaming and throwing this computer out the window is looking like a better alternative.

HP Recommended

sorry you are still having problems. I was having the same thought process as you with trying to view the computer on a seperate monitor, thinking that the lcd was somehow bad. But my ENVY 20 not having any video out ports, hdmi etc. i gave up on that idea. I was even thinking about something like you ordered but once i realized that anything i plugged into the usb was not being recognized i scrapped that idea. Hey maybe it will work for you, i hope it does. I just have a question, and im not trying to make you look stupid or anything, im just trying to help. But are you moving the correct jumpers? On my motherboard there was 2 seperate jumpers next to the battery, and without using light and my glasses (because im going blind in my old age lol) i had to make sure i was using the correct ones. One was for BIOS/CMOS Password Reset and the other was for BIOS/CMOS Reset. And both being right next to each other i could see someone easily getting confused. Again, just a thougt. I do hope u finally succeed and believe that you will. Like i said, it took me over a week, altho not constant daily aggravation but a bit of hair pulling here and there and than one morning she just decided to work. Keep on it.good luck.

HP Recommended

I looked up the jumper pinout on the HP website.  For the Envy 23 they are also located right under the CMOS battery and the website shows to move the top one to the left to clear the CMOS and the bottom one to the left for password reset.  On mine both jumpers are all the way to the right.  I don't take offense.  Any suggestions are welcome.  I will let you know how the monitor thing goes.  Right now I will continue all day trying to reset and start up until my head explodes.

Does HP ever read these and try to help?

HP Recommended

hp told me that my motherboard was faulty and needed to be replaced and since i wasnt under warranty it was gonna cost around 400$. a local computer store told me it was the lcd and was gonna cost 400$. both were incorrect. someone from hp may chime in but its usually basic stuff that it seems you have allready tried.

HP Recommended

find me on facebook,,,jerry maiullo,,,may be easier to trouble shoot on messenger or something if youd like.

HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

I started this post originally.

My belief is that my problem was caused by upgrading to Windows 10 as I had no issues with older versions of Windows.

After a short period of running windows 10 my AIO blackscreened and never recovered.  I had to send it to HP to fix it and they did this by replcaing the motherboard and resetting to Windows 8 factory build.

After I recieved it back it worked fine. 

After a few weeks I upgraded to Windows 10 and the same blackscreen issue happened agian. As it was under warranty I returned it to HP and again they replaced the motherboard and reset to Windows 8.

HP advised NOT to upgrade to Win 10 as the comp has not been tested against it.

I've since upgraded to Win 8.1 and it works a perfect. 

I strongly suspect if I upgraded to 10 it would blackscreen again for whatever reason.

Andy

HP Recommended

i dont know exactly what it is or why it happens, but it is the BIOS that is not compatible with windows 10 not the actual motherboard. Its more of software/firmware issue, not hardware. i upgraded my envy 20 to windows 10 and soon after i was getting black screen. i i contacted hp also and was told it was the motherboard but i wasnt on warranty so it would be like 400$ to fix. couldnt afford it. plus i kinda knew it wasnt a hardware failure,,,something else was wrong. so after resetting cmos and putting the bios back to its factory settings she would boot up again. but shortly after it would happen again. black screen. so reset cmos and bios again and she would boot up again fine. so i downgraded back to windows 8 and all was fine. tried updating to windows 10 AGAIN,,BLACK SCREEN. So i did my thing and reset the cmos/bios and she booted. BUT THIS TIME I UPDATED THE BIOS FILE. I was originall running BIOS Version 8.11. After update i am now running BIOS version 8.16. And this BIOS file has had no issued at all with windows 10. Now i am not saying that i can guarantee that if you update your bios that windows 10 will work for u with no problems, but being a betting man i would put a few bucks down saying it will. Check what version of BIOS you are running. To do this if you are running windows 8.1.

RIGHT CLICK ON THE START BUTTON AND CHOOSE RUN...IN THERE TYPE MSINFO32. UNDER SYSTEM SUMMARY LOOK FOR BIOS VERSION AND DATE..MY GUESS IS U ARE RUNNING VERISON 8.11 LIKE I WAS. IF SO,,,UPDATE IT.

I couldnt find the bios update file on the HP website but i did find it online and once i updated my bios,,,,windows 10 and my ENVY 20 has not given me any more black screen issues in weeks. Im confident in saying that this is the fix..well was for my system and like i said...being a betting man,,,id bet that it will fix your issues too,,,,The motherboard is not failing,,,the BIOS IS OUTDATED.....UPDATE IT. Hit me back here if u have any more questions or issues..im here to help

HP Recommended

I appreciate the information you guys are providing but I am still dealing with two HP Envy 23 that aren't working.  Is there any way for me to do the factory reset with the hard drive in a dcoking station attached to my laptop.  At this point I just want to get these computers up and running.  So I am willing to go back to the original settings but I haven't figured out how to make that happen since the HP Envy 23 has a blank screen and it will not boot from a USB or DVD.  Please if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

sorry. i have no idea if that would work. the os would pretty much have to be installed in the machine you plan on running it in so it can install the drivers needed for the hardware. if you installed the os on a different computer than it windows would install drivers for that particular hardware so if u tried putting the harddrive in a different machine there would be totally different hardware and my guess is it wouldnt even boot at all. i could be dead wrong. i know we spoke before on the issue and i guess u still are having problems. i thought about trying everything u are pretty much mentioned but none of it would work seeing how the usb, or even the dvd will not load upon boot. I know youve probably tried it 1,000 times. And im sure u are sick of hearing it. But it is the BIOS. It needs to be updated, or even restored to its factory settings. And to do this we have been over this. I really hope someone else with more or better info can chime in for you. i really feel your pain. I DO. i went thru it myself, but after trying the cmos reset dozens and dozens of times it finally worked. Thats the only suggestion i can really give you. sorry.

HP Recommended

When I start to do the factory reset it shows a list of all of the drivers being restored and it appears the list is everything in the original computer.  I guess I am afraid of what will happen once the reboot occurs.  Will it then start acclimating to the laptop it is attached to?  

It would really be nice if HP could weigh in on some of these questions.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.