Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
HP ENVY 700-210xt hard drive configuration
Replies (14)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 11 of 15 (612 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 700-210xt hard drive configuration

[ Edited ]

http://www.laptopscrews.com/success.htm

Desktop Computer

Hard Drive Zinc

Hex Head Machine Screw

6-32 x 1/4

I thought these screws would work but they did not.   When installed the drive would not fit into the cage.

Highlighted
Top Student
Message 12 of 15 (598 Views)

Work around... I had some standard PC desktop screws in my parts bin. I removes several screws from other parts of the case and replaced them with the "standard" hex head/Phillips that I had on hand. The entire case is put together with these smooth-head/slotted/torx screws. It's a sub-optimal solution, especially when replacing main board screws.

Good luck and hopefully HP reverses the "head up their arse" situation regarding availability of these proprietary components.
Student
Message 13 of 15 (418 Views)

Yes - the above solution from airstang worked well for me.  I replaced the four screws on the back of the case that secure the power supply with standard 6-32 screws I had from another PC.  I then used the smooth-head screws to mount the second disk drive.

I am incredulous that HP would sell a computer that required proprietary mounting screws for a second HDD, and they didn't include any extras in the case.  Adding a second disk drive is a common upgrade for many users.  I completely agree with the previous comment about HP having their "head up their arse" on this one.

Top Student
Message 14 of 15 (411 Views)

Well, here we are, a full year after my original purchase and still no reponse from HP. Wow.

I'm glad the work around worked. So sad that HP can't manage to deliver on a screw.
Master's Graduate
Message 15 of 15 (408 Views)

[ Edited ]
Airstang -

I assume you are asking about the (low profile socket) Fillister head Torx T-15 / Slot machine screw?

Usage of that type of screw can be traced back to Compaq Desktop and Portable Computers in the 1980s. There are English 6-32 (hard drives/removable chassis cages) and Metric M3 (CD/DVD) versions, in at least 2 lengths -- for each type.

I acquire my repair/restoration supply from the Texas and Florida "computer parts chop shops" for HP and Dell computers.

These screws also appear routinely on eBay.
I just ordered 50 from an Isreal-based jobber (scrap operator), that should arrive later this month.
===
Ambry.com is one such supplier.
http://www.ambry.com/280561-001.html

Amazing that no one answered this, common HP computer service bench issue in North America.
BTW, it was also an issue for IBM PC dealers in 1980s, as well.
--
Guess no one worked in production/manufacturing, before that was shipped in East Asia in early 1990s.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation