cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GeorgeVM1984
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 21
Flag Post

HP ENVY Recline TouchSmart 23-k112eb - Touchscreen problem

HP Recommended

Hello,

A few weeks ago I purchased a HP ENVY Recline TouchSmart 23-k112eb computer. A very nice piece of hardware with the latest version of Windows installed.

Product Number: F6L57EA#UUG

After 2 day I noticed that my cursor (mouse) keeps having a live of its own. Upon startup of the computer you can see that the touch gestures are simulated on top of the screen. This keeps going on during the entire time I am using it.

Working with the mouse is practically impossible, because it keeps jumping to the upper right corner. Same for the gestures with your finger, you just can’t swipe fast enough. Applications and browser windows are being closed without me asking it.

I verified the HP Support Assistant and the Windows Updates. The system indicates that all features are up-to-date.

Does anyone have the same problem and does anyone have a solution ?

It becomes really frustrating for the moment.

Thanks in advance,

George

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,265 451 1,229
Message 2 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello GeorgeVM1984,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are experiencing what is referred to as Ghost Touches on your HP ENVY Recline TouchSmart 23-k112eb Desktop PC. I would recommend that you boot into Safe Mode by following the steps in the HP Support document: Windows 8 Safe Mode, which should allow you to use your mouse once again. Once in Safe Mode I would recommend that you then follow the steps set out in the HP Support document: Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎, which will walk you through the process of restoring your computer back to a point in time where your mouse and touchscreen worked correctly. This will not affect any personal files on your computer only applications installed or settings changed between the date you do the restore and the date you choose to restore back to.

If your issue is a software issue this should fix it for you.

Please feel free to re-post if you require additional assistance. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
GeorgeVM1984
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Dunidar for your reply!

Can you specify the period for which I must execute the restore? It's a new computer, so I don't think there will be much to go back to ...

0 Kudos
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,265 451 1,229
Message 4 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello GeorgeVM1984,

I would go back all the way to the beginning if the computer is new. If this does not work try backing up any personal files you may have using the HP Support document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎, and then use the HP Support document: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎, to reinstall everything from scratch.

If this does not work I would recommend you contact HP Technical Support as you want to ensure you have a properly functioning unit.

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
0 Kudos
GeorgeVM1984
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Would it help if I disable the touch functionality in the Windows control panel and work with the mouse and keyboard only?

Or will the problem remain?

0 Kudos
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,265 451 1,229
Message 6 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again GeorgeVM1984,

It may prevent the issue from interferring with you while you use the computer, but to be honest why would you want to. It is a new computer and personally I would want it to be 100% functional. In my opinion fixing the issue would be better then just removing functionality so you can use it.

If you would rather just disable the touchscreen you can do so by following the steps below:

Step 1. At the Tiles Menu type "Control Panel"
Step 2. Click on Control Panel
Step 3. Go to Hardware and Sound
Step 4. Pen and touch
Step 5. Click the touch tab
Step 6. Disable use your finger as an input

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
GeorgeVM1984
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Unfortunately I was not able to restore my computer to a previous restore point. There was only one available from a few days ago. But the problem still remains!

So I started searching for disabling the touch in the Control Panel of Windows 8, but the option is nowhere to be found.

I’ve looked at the other forum items and they talk about disabling the Human Interface Hardware.

Is it a good idea to try it out?

Again thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Dunidar
Retired
Retired
5,889 6,265 451 1,229
Message 8 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again GeorgeVM1984,

Given the issue you are having with your new computer I am going to give you to scenarios to follow.

Scenario 1

We can use the HP Support document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 😎, which will walk you through the steps needed to back up your personal files. You can then use the HP Support document: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎, which will guide you to restoring your computer back to how it came from the factory.

If the problem persists go to Scenario 2

Scenario 2.

Given how new your computer is I think it would be best if you contact HP Technical Support. You want to ensure that you have a properly functioning devices from the get go and you also want to ensure that any issues you have a correctly documented with HP for your warranty coverage.

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
Robvia
3 3 0 1
Message 9 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have solved this problem.     

Cliff Notes:  Control Panel, Device Manager, Human Interface Devices, Click on HID-Compliant Touch Screen, right click, then Disable.

To do this and not have your mouse go crazy, push your entire palm agaist the screen.    When you get a window to open, push your palm against the screen in that window and you will be able to move the mouse around.   

What is happening, is the dots at the top of the screen are touches, as if you were taking all 10 of your fingers, and dancing on the screen.   When  you try to move your mouse, it jumps to where the dots are.    Holding your palm against the screen  stops the dots, and gives you enough time to open a window. 

------------------

Now the long story.    Bought an HP Recline 23" for my dad in February of 2014.    Worked great.  Then on 04/03/15 my dad calls me saying there are these weird dots on his screen.    I have Teamviewer installed, log in, and there are dots.   Anytime I try to click on something, the mouse goes crazy.   I can't click on anything, the mouse keeps moving.      With multiple clicks I was eventually able to right click on the screen, click properties, and eventually get to the control panel.    I was able to run system restore, the restore point was 2 days prior on 04/01/15.     The system restored and rebooted, but the dots were still there.      I couldn't figure out the problem.   Then next morning, I drove 4 hours from Plantation FL to my parents home in Leesburg FL and began trouble shooting.   I then realized the dots were touches on the screen.   How could that happen?   There was no virus, and the system was fine the day before.      Did windows install some update that messed up the touch screen?      

I was trying to click, reboot many times, went into the bios seeing if there was a way to turn off the touch screen.    When you boot to the bios by pressing ESC at boot up, the dots are not there, same for Acronis.        So then I reboot to windows, dots appear, push my entire palm against the screen and the dots (or circles) stop appearing long enough for me to bring up the Control Panel.   From here cick on Device Manager.  Click on Human Interface Devices.   Left click on HID-compliant touch screen to select it.   Right click, and a small window will appear, disable the device.     All this time, your palm should be in the window that is open.    Once the device is disabled, the dots will go away.   You can reboot just to make sure.   I did boot to safe mode by clicking on Restart with the shift key held down.   The dots were still there.    That's when I went into Device Manager and turned off the touch screen.   

My dad doesn't use the touch screen, it's nice to have, but if this is going to happen, forget it.    

We did have a backup from 03/20/15 using Acronis, but I didn't want to try and do a restore.   So whether this is an issue with a windows update, or a hardware problem is yet to be determined.   I don't care, I've turned off the touch screen and we're leaving it that way.

Good Luck if this happened to you.    

Robert

Plantation FL 

0 Kudos
GeorgeVM1984
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 21
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your feedback!

It was making me crazy, your solution worked fine!! Too bad HP is not producing a fix for it.

Have a nice weekend!!

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation