Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Chris, how did they fixed it? was a hardware or a software problem?
I hope is just a driver issue, i live in south america and is really hard to find spare parts around here...
Anyway, i'm gonna send an e-mail, at least to get an idea for the solution.

HP Recommended

Hi,

He updated the BIOS and replaced the Ralink RT3290 wifi adapter with a TP-Link wifi adapter (which uses the realtek chipset) because no existing driver seems to work for the Ralink RT3290 wifi adapter. It is crucial that you ensure the BIOS and drivers are compatible with the operating system. Hope that helps and I wish you the best of luck in restoring your computer.

Regards,

Chris

HP Recommended

How can the "EndUser" udate the BIOS if the unit can't detect USB keybaord and there is no display.  I assume the USB key with the BIOS update will also not be able to boot to.

Please provide more informaiton if this is actually possible for the "EndUser" bea ble to update the BIOS at this state.

I have 2 HP Envy 20 system - so I guess if I update to WIndows 10 I may get the same issue on my functional system.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You'll have to get the display to work first. To do that, unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you. Remove the CMOS battery and put it aside until you've restored your computer. Clear the CMOS by moving the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 1-2 position to the 2-3 position (the CLR_CMOS jumper is just beside the CMOS battery holder). Plug the power cord into the power outlet for about 5-10 seconds (please take note that it's not necessary to press the power button on the computer but if you do, the power-on light on the computer will come on and nothing else happens because the computer is in the CMOS clearing mode). Unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you. Move the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 2-3 position back to the original 1-2 position. Plug the power cord into the power outlet and turn on the computer. The computer will start up and restart itself after a few seconds. If the first attempt is successful, the screen will come on and display a message after a few seconds whereby you can press F1 to boots the computer. If the display is not restored on the first attempt, repeat the above procedure until you get the display to work.

After the computer is booted up, download the latest BIOS for your computer from the HP Software and Drivers website (you'll have to provide the product number of your computer). Next, run the executable file that you've just downloaded (NOTE: During the BIOS installation which could take a few minutes, please ensure the power to the computer is not interrupted and do not do anything to the computer until the whole process is completed; the DOS windows will close when the process is done. Otherwise the BIOS chip will have to be reprogrammed by HP.)

Once the BIOS is updated, please do not shut down or restart your computer. Please create a set of system recovery discs if you do not already have one or create a clone/image of your boot drive, backup all your data and check that all the device drivers are compatible with the operating system that you are currently using on the computer. If not, you'll run into the well-know Blue Screen of Death problem when you restart/reboot your computer. If that happens, the operating system will have to be completely reinstalled.

If your HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-In-One PCs are absolutely functional and wish to update/upgrade to Windows 10, you may not experience the above problems right after the update/upgrade. However, you'll eventually run into the above problems if the BIOS and drivers are not compatible with Windows 10. Hence, please check to ensure that the BIOS and drivers of your computers are compatible with Windows 10 before updating/upgrading. Even then, there is a risk that future Windows 10 updates could cause drivers/BIOS conflicts and result in the above problems for reasonably old computers with old hardware.

Chris

HP Recommended

Check out this article "Yes, Windows 10 Runs Great on Old Hardware" at https://www.yahoo.com/tech/yes-windows-10-runs-great-on-old-hardware-221316059.html bearing in mind that the author did a fresh complete installation instead of updating/upgrading from an existing installed Windows 7/8/8.1 installation (i.e., overlay installation).

Chris

HP Recommended

I just un-bricked my HP Envy 20-d113w by removing the back cover, clearing CMOS about 10 times using the CLR_CMOS jumper and FINALLY got it to boot with NO jumper installed.  Currently rolling back the Windows 10 upgrade....Good luck everybody!

HP Recommended

Congratulations! Please ensure that you are using compatible drivers too, otherwise your computer could run into the well-known Blue Screen of Death problem whereby the OS will have to be completely reinstalled. The best is to create a cloned back-up of your drive and a set of the system recovery discs. By the way, did you update the BIOS? If not, you will encounter the blank/black screen again after you shut the computer down and try to boot it up again. You may wish to put the jumper back if you do not wish to risk losing it. If you do run into some kinds of problems, please do keep this thread updated. Thanks!

Chris

HP Recommended

Any resolution to this yet? I have the same problem, happened just after windows 10 update and HPwants to charge me $350 plus parts to repair it. I am deeply dissatisfied with their help in regards to this. Apparantly they didnotcheck that all parts were capableof handlingth upda. I hate to think I spent $800 ona computer I had for just over 2 yeas, barely used and now not working. I am deeply saddened they refuse to assist.

HP Recommended

The procedure to resolve this problem is posted in this thread. Best of luck!

Chris

HP Recommended

Chris,

I did update the BIOS to the latest release and installed the latest available device drivers before successfully installing the Windows 10 upgrade this morning.  I just realized that I neglected to mention that in the earlier post.  I also didn't find it neccessary to remove the CMOS battery in order to reset the BIOS....that's what the jumper is for.  Your instructions regarding the CLR_CMOS jumper are backwards (at least from what I observed on my unit) because pins 2-3 are supposed to be jumpered in normal operating mode and 1-2 are for clearing CMOS.  Pin 1 is encircled in white and is the uppermost pin in the row. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.