Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Oh, did I forget to mention that I also contacted Microsoft about this issue.

When I went to the website to verify that my PC was compatible with Win 10, It said I was all good.

I have 5 PC that I use on a daily basis.  I even loaded Win 10 on my Mini Dell and tested it for 2 months before I even considered updating my Envy.

After it crashed a month later, I contacted them.  The rep had the nerve to tell me that I should have verified that my Envy was supported BEFORE I upgraded to Win 10.  He then went on to tell me that my Envy 20 d113w was NOT supported.  Boy was I ever !@#$#@!% when he tried to point the finger back at me.  Trying to tell me that I should have verified my driver compatibility before I upgraded.

***THE MICROSOFT WEBSITE IS WHAT TOLD ME MY ENVY WAS COMPATIBLE***

I can give you a list of everything I did before I ever contacted HP.  Although I had already tried all of their suggested fixes, I did go through all the steps with them again, just to confirm I was doing it all correctly. Of no fault to HP, they were only able to send me new OS disks to start from scratch.

Just a heads up if you do decide to stay on Win 10:

You can NOT turn off auto updates, and I am about 99% sure that one of the updates is what crashed my Envy. I even went through the logs and that was the last thing I saw before it crashed.

Windows Defender can only be disabled if you have another Anti Virus Software loaded.

At one point when I was monitoring it, It was using 58% of my CPU, which was making my PC slower than a snail.

I don't even want to get started on the embedded product keys for Win 10.  When I rolled back to Win 8, it would tell me that my key was not valid, and that is were I was left.  I had to contact Microsoft again just to get my old Win 8 Product Key, so I could reinstall it.

I will see send you an email with my mobile number, in case you would like to discuss this further. I also have screenshots from every step I took once I got back into BIOS.

I do have my Envy up and running, and to anyone that is still troubleshooting, I suggest you plug your PC into a surge protector that has an ON/OFF button.  It makes it much easier to reboot, rinse, and repeat.

I am going to post this now, and go pull up the list of everything I did to try and resolve this issue.  It took me a month of troubleshooting, and I had even taken out the battery.  However, it was not until I removed the battery, and left it out, that I was finally able to get into BIOS.

HP Recommended
Once I finally got my envy back up and running after dealing with that black screen issue and resetting CMOS and pulling jumpers it kept going back to black screen. One last time getting it booted again I checked my bios and had an old version 8.11.
I updated it to the most recent version I could find right away this time. 8.16 is what ive found. And since doing that all is well. And mind you this is all after being told by HP and a local computer shop that either the mother board was bad or the screen LCD has died and each part was about 400$ each. Imagine if I had spent my money and the issue repeated itself and the fix altho tedious was actually kind of easy. I'm tempted to go back to the computer place I went to so I can show the guy that he was wrong and I just had to reset my CMOS and he should refund me my 100$ just to look at it. UPDATE YOUR BIOS RIGHT AWAY AS SOON AS U GET THE MACHINE TO BOOT.

Misfire. I haven't experienced any of these issues that you mentioned as of yet but if I do I will be back here to get your attention.
HP Recommended

Everyone I talked to, including HP, also told me that my motherboard was bad.  However, I knew that could not be the case, because it would respond to several different F buttons, and I could get it to go into a boot loop when I hit the function keys and other buttons to reset the BIOS.  Yes, all that with a blank screen 😉

Good thing I am stubborn and refused to give up.  I also like a good challenge, and this was definitely that.

HP Recommended
Yea I felt the same way. I knew it had to do with the update to windows 10 and it wasn't a bad component. My daughter is soo happy we saved 400$ and she can still play minecraft
HP Recommended
Same problem! Looking on the forums for a fix, instead, mine is a HP Envy 23 Touchsmart all in one PC 23-d027c
HP Recommended

are you comfortable with taking the back off of the computer? unplug everything...power too and open the back up. if yours is like mine, you will need to take another plate off to access the mother board. near the batter you will see some jumpers. one is for cmos. it should be 3 pins total. but the jumper will be on 2 pins. take it off the 2 pins it on and move it over so its on the reset pins. and i also even took the battery out. make sure you move the correct pins because on my envy there was also a bios password or something pin. u dont need to touch that one. after taking the battery out and setting the pin on the reset jumpers leave it alone for about 20 minutes. when u come back to it, put the jumper back into the original position, put the battery back in and try turning the pc on. if it boots up and you get back into windows make sure you UPDATE YOUR BIOS ASAP OR YOU WILL KEEP GETTING THE BLACK SCREEN EVERYTIME YOUR COMPUTER TURNS OFF. Hope this helps pal. i really do. this is very frustrating.

HP Recommended

Hi Steven,

The procedure is the same as that of the HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-In-One PC except that the HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-In-One PC has a different CLR_CMOS jumper pins. For the HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-In-One PC, the jumper is in the 4-6 position for the Normal Operation mode and 2-4 position for the CLR_CMOS mode.

Please follow the following procedure step by step carefully to restore the display.

1.  Unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you.

2. Remove the CMOS battery and put it aside (you will put the CMOS battery back to its holder on the motherboard after you've restored your computer).

3. Clear the CMOS by moving the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 4-6 position to them 2-4 position (hope that I am seeing the readings correctly because of the reflection from the metal plate).

4. Plug the power cord into the power outlet for about 5-10 seconds. You may wish to press the power button on the computer to check that the computer is indeed in CMOS clearing mode.

5. Unplug the power cord from the power outlet, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you.

6. Move the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 2-4 position back to the original 4-6 position.

7. Plug the power cord into the power outlet and turn on the computer.

8. The computer will start up and then restart itself automatically within a few minutes after it has completely refreshed the CMOS. (Please give the computer adequate time to refresh the CMOS. For instance, at least 3-5 minutes or more. You should observe this process of starting up and restarting. If you do not observe this process, please let me know.)

9. If the first attempt is successful, the screen will come on and display a message after a few seconds whereby you can press F1 to boots the computer. In this case, please proceed to the other procedures mentioned in the previous e-mail message.

10. If the display is not restored on the first attempt, press and hold the power switch to shut the computer down. Then repeat steps 1 and 3 to 8 carefully and you will eventually get the display to work. Sometimes, it will require quite an effort to revive the display because the computer is in a very confused state now due to the conflict between the BIOS and the OS. Hence, please give the computer some time to restore to the functional state.

After having successfully restored the display, please following the procedure listed earlier in this thread to update the BIOS; d0eb0y has given you a very good overview of the procedure.

Wishing you the best of luck in restoring your HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-In-One PC!

Chris
HP Recommended

Mine is same problem. HP Envy Touchsmart all in one PC 23-d150.  I have gotten a lot of help from this forum and a friend(George). Recently my computer came up after i repeated the clr_cmos procedure over 20times and removed one out of the two rams installed on my pc. Again it went back into its previous no display mode after several restart attempts.

The striking this i discovered was that the bios seemed to be corrupt and could not load, i only got a blinking cursor on a black screen. Any key I pressed on the keyboard displays the error - "No book disk or device found", how do i go about this new found problem if i manage to get my screen to display something again?

HP Recommended

***A BIG THANKS TO YOU ALL***

I was the one that started this Post last October, and I want to thank everyone for all the help and support that you have provided.

It took me a month of troubleshooting before I finally got mine up and running.  At that time, there were no posts in the HP forums that held the solution to this very frustrating problem.

Luckily, I am stubborn and was extremely determined to get my Envy back up and running.  I am also technically inclined, and was willing to do anything and everything, even if I had to take it apart one piece at a time.

However, others out there do not have the same experiences as many of us do, so without all of your help, they may have ended up with a 20 lb paperweight. 

Again, thank you for taking the time to to help others with this problem. 

Misfire

HP Recommended

i have to agree completely with MISFIRE. I myself am just as stubborn. And if i didnt know any better i may have ended up paying someone 400$ or whatever the amount was to replace whatever piece they said needed replacement.And down the line i probably would have ended up wit the same issue again if the BIOS wasnt updated on the new motherboard. But being tech savvy and willing to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty, with ideas and help from everyone else that was posting in this thread a few of us have fixed our machines and we hope that the methods we used was helpful in fixing other machines in the future. This all starts with the WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE pretty much. If you can help it, i wouldnt even bother at the moment util you have youre BIOS updated and try and do your best to make sure all of your components are compatible, or will be after an update. thats the biggest demon with OS UPGRADING. Hardware compatibility. But anyway, i dont want to mumble on. But thank you everyone for your help. Even the littlest bits of info can be helpful so even if you think that what u are thinking may help is such a small or stupid idea, please share it because as some of us are looking into the bigger problem sometimes it is them little stupid things that we forget to do, so SHARE SHARE SHARE thoguhts!

I have created a short video that i will be uploading to youtube later on of the steps i took to get my HP TOUCHSMART ENVY 20 working again after upgrading to WINDOWS 10 AND GETTING NO DISPLAY OR BLACK SCREEN. So i will post a link here once i do and i hope it can be helpful to someone. And if anyone has any questions please post, as this forum is linked to my main email address so everytime there is a post on here i get a notification sent to me and i will do my best to reply as soon as i can. Everyone have a great day and thanks again!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.