Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone, I have read through all 8 pages here on the forum and everyone explains the SAME EXACT issue I am seeing with my HP Envy 23 series (all-in-one).  Prior to having the issue, I upgraded to Windows 10 and ever since then I felt the computer was slower than Windows 8.1.  Also, my start button stopped working where it showed a Critical Error when clicking on it and would prompt to log out to attempt to fix the issue.  Logging out would not fix the issue.  However, I left my computer logged in for weeks and when I came back to use it, the start button mysteriously worked again.  I logged out and logged back in and BOOM the start button was broke again.  I even tried doing a system restore back to an earlier date which failed during that process.  At this point I just wanted to go back to Windows 8.1 and start with a fresh OS.  I figured I would shut the computer down and start it back up, this is when.... the black screen issue occured.

I have gone through the steps very thoroughly of trying to rectify the black screen issue and have tried different combinations.  To be clear I only have a column of 3 pins and a row of 2 pins for the CMOS.  The jumpers are located on columns 2 and 3 for normal bootup.  I have moved the jumpers to columns 1 and 2, plugged in the computer and let it sit for hours.  I have tried this with the battery and without the battery.  I unplug the computer, moved it back to positions 2 and 3 and try to boot, still black screen.  I repeated this many times for hours.  Also, I tried booting without the jumpers completely, still black screen.  I tried booting with the battery and without.  Like I said, every combination I could think of from what I read of different people doing.

The boot kicks the fan on, does something with the DVD/CD drive and you can hear the hard drive chatter for about 1-2 seconds and then nothing.  It just sits there. No HP screen, nothing. The USB ports have no power to them either.  I feel like I have tried every combination I could and I still cannot revive it.

I'm not sure if there is anything else you guys can do for me, but I'm stuck and I would really appreciate some help and getting this computer back up and running.  I do not have a recovery set of disks because I have a recovery drive on the computer, but look how far that is getting me now. 😞

Hoping for some help Chris_GIllian and d0eb0y.  Thank you in advance.

Sincerely, Matt from Michigan

HP Recommended

ok.. so after 20 minutes or trying and re-trying, it finally booted !!!.. 

now, the instruction are to update the bios... for my envy 20-d011 model h4A18AA... the hp software and drivers is only finding a windows update... does that means there is NOT a bios upgrade for my model?...

where else should I look??

HP Recommended
Tho its usually not recommended. I found the bios for my envy on drivers.softpedia and it worked fine. Search Google. Use anything found at your own risk. Unless someone else has a better location. Chris gillian usually knows maybe he will chime in.
HP Recommended
And durstee. Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been busy. When setting jumpers to reset CMOS leave the machine unplugged. U don't want any power to the machine. I personally remove the motherboard battery also. For some reason it don't always work first attempt. I've had to try multiple times over the course of days and finally one morning BOOM SHE BOoted. Good luck
HP Recommended
Durstee. It took me days and multiple attempts to finally get my machine to boot. I was ready to just throw the thing away and than one morning it just booted. Remove motherboard battery. Set jumpers to CMOS reset.leave it unplugged overnight and like that if u can. U want no power at all to the motherboard so the CMOS will hopefully reset. U have the same issue I did. U can hear the fan. No power to USB. Drive spins. Etc. Just keep trying. Be vigilant. Lol.u will get it.good luck.
HP Recommended

Thank d0eb0y for the reply.  Alright, I will try what you suggested.  Remove the motherboard battery AND leave the computer unplugged overnight while I have the jumpers in the reset position.  I will report back, hopefully that it finally booted.

HP Recommended

Hello Matt (Durstee235),

Please pardon my late reply because I did not receive any notification on the latest few posts from this site except for the one posted by dlorenc of which the notification was sent not long ago. For quick response, people would usually contact me via my gmail account (hikarikenkyuujo), however, please do post on this site too so that others on this site can help out too.

Now, please take note that HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-in-One PC has a different set of jumper pins from those of HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-in-One PC and I have stated this in my response to Steven7880 on page 5 of this site "Re: HP Envy 20 Black Screen On Startup 03-02-2016 06:49 AM" when I was addressing Steven7880's HP Envy 23 Touchsmart all in one PC 23-d027c black screen problem. In addition, the BIOS version is also different. In the case of HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-in-One PC, the latest BIOS version is 8.17 Rev A with the filename sp70474.exe, and the method to obtain this BIOS flashing problem from the HP Software, Drivers and Updates website is slightly different.

To clear the CMOS on HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs, you need to move the jumper from the 4-6 position (normal operation) to the 2-4 position (Clear CMOS mode). To obtain the version 8.17 Rev A BIOS flashing program for the HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs, please do as follows:

1. Go to http://support.hp.com/us-en?openCLC=true and click on "Get software and drivers" and enter the model number of your HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs (e.g., 23-d150 or HP ENVY 23-d150) the click on the "Find my product" label.

2. Next, you are asked to select your operation system and version. You can skip selecting the operating system and go straight to select the verion by clicking on the pull-down menu arrow for "Version" and select "Microsoft Windows 8" the click on the "Update" label. (Please do take note the version 8.17 Rev A BIOS flashing program is in the Windows 8 directory whereas the version 8.16 Rev A BIOS flashing program is in the Windows 8.1 directory and both were released on 13 April 2015. There isn't a Windows 10 option and this does not matter.)

3. Scroll down and you will find "BIOS (1)". Click on "BIOS (1)" and you will find "HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2ADC) 8.17 Rev.A 4.4 MB Apr 13, 2015 32-bit or 64-bit Download 64-bit". Click on the "Download 64-bit" label to download the file sp70474.exe (i.e., the version 8.17 Rev A BIOS flashing program).

(I think the above guide is clear enough. If it is not, I have prepared a step-by-step guide with screen-shots in PDF to download the BIOS flashing program from the HP Software, Drivers and Upates website. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to have it.)

The rest of the procedure is the same but I have added in some more texts in the following to emphasize certain precaution measures. In the following guide, please take note that I have made the necessary changes in CLR_CMOS pin numbers and BIOS version in accordance to HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs. Best of luck, Matt!

You’ll have to update the BIOS on your HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart AIO PC to version 8.17 Rev A after you have restored the display. To do that, please follow the following procedure very carefully. Pull the computer power plug from the wall power outlet and wait for the white power LED indicator on the motherboard to go off (please do not pull the power connector from the back of the computer because this causes power surge that stresses the computer and cause problems), drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you by touching your hands on the metal plates of the computer if you do not have a anti-static strap. Remove the CMOS battery and put it aside until you've restored your computer. Clear the CMOS by moving the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 4-6 position to the 2-4 position (the CLR_CMOS jumper is just beside the CMOS battery holder). Insert the power plug into the wall power outlet for about 5-10 seconds (please take note that it's not necessary to press the power button on the computer but if you do, the power-on light on the computer will come on and nothing else happens because the computer is in the CMOS clearing mode). Pull the power plug from the wall power outlet and wait for the white power LED indicator on the motherboard to go off, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you. Move the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 2-4 position back to the original 4-6 position. Insert the power plug into the wall power outlet and turn on the computer. The computer will start up and restart itself after a few seconds. If the first attempt is successful, the screen will come on and display a message after a few seconds whereby you can press F1 to boots the computer. If the display is not restored on the first attempt, repeat the above procedure until you get the display to work. Some people did this more than 50 times and some 10 times to get the display to work again; I was fortunate to get the display to work on the first attempt when I was troubleshooting this problem but I did not have the password to login to Windows 10 and subsequently had to repeat the above procedure countless times to diagnose and fix that computer.

After the computer is booted up, download the latest BIOS (version 8.17 Rev. A) for your computer from the HP Software, Drivers and Updates website (you'll have to provide the product number of your computer. As a couple of people have problem in finding the BIOS flashing program on HP Software, Drivers and Updates website, I have prepared and attached a step-by-step guide to find and download BIOS version 8.17 Rev. A from the HP Software, Drivers and Updates website; some people obtained the BIOS flashing problem from a non-HP website but I do not recommend it because it can be risky. Please follow the steps described in the attached "HP ENVY 23 BIOS Download Procedure.pdf" file to download BIOS version 8.17 Rev. A with the filename sp70474.exe from the HP Software, Drivers and Updates website.

Next, run the executable file that you've just downloaded (NOTE: During the BIOS installation which could take a few minutes, please ensure the power to the computer is not interrupted and do not do anything to the computer until the whole process is completed; the DOS windows will close when the process is done. Otherwise the BIOS chip will have to be reprogrammed by HP as HP is reluctant to share that information. I would strongly recommend to disconnect the computer from the internet and refrain from any other activities on the computer when you are flashing the BIOS until the whole BIOS flashing process is complete.

Once the BIOS is updated, please do not shut down or restart your computer (please let the computer runs for 15-30 minutes to charge up the capacitors so that the information stored on the CMOS can be retained when you power down the computer to reinstall the CMOS battery; this step is generally not necessary and I have not come across anyone having this problem, however, I am putting it in as a precaution just in case some people do not following the subsequent steps and the capacitors on their computer are not adequately charged to retain the information stored on the CMOS when the computer is powered down). In your case, the system recovery data residing in the UEFI boot sector is very likely completely wiped out when you did a system restore. If you have a set of system recovery discs (6-7 discs), you can use the system recovery discs to restore your HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart AIO PC. If you don't have a set of system recovery discs, you can order the system recovery discs from HP. After you have restored your HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart AIO PC, please ensure that all drivers are up-to-date otherwise you will run into the Blue Screen of Death problem when the computer is restarted. Please also take note the mini PCIe Ralink RT3290 might not work because of a driver issue. I tried many drivers including those from the manufacturer's website but the mini PCIe Ralink RT3290 just would not work. Hence, I replaced it with a TP Link USB wifi adapter that uses the popular Realtek chipset instead. If you encounter this problem, maybe you would like to replace the mini PCIe Ralink RT3290 wifi card with a mini PCIe wifi card that uses Realtek chipset if you mind a USB wifi adapter taking up one of the USB ports. I think Broadcom mini PCIe wifi cards are good too.

As some people find it hard to restore the display, I have listed the procedure on restoring the display step by step in the following. Please follow it carefully.

1. Pull the computer power plug from the wall power outlet (please do not pull the power connector from the back of the computer because this causes power surge that stresses the computer and cause problems) and wait for the white power LED indicator on the motherboard to go off, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you.

2. Remove the CMOS battery and put it aside (you will put the CMOS battery back to its holder on the motherboard after you've restored your computer).

3. Clear the CMOS by moving the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 4-6 position to the 2-4 position.

4. Insert the power plug into the wall power outlet for about 5-10 seconds. You may wish to press the power button on the computer to check that the computer is indeed in CMOS clearing mode. In the CMOS clearing mode, the power button light will light up when pressed but nothing else such as the fan and drives will function.

5. Pull the power plug from the wall power outlet (please do not pull the power connector from the back of the computer because this causes power surge that stresses the computer and cause problems) and wait for the white power LED indicator on the motherboard to go off, drain the residual charges by pressing the computer power button for 5 seconds and clear the static charge on you.

6. Move the CLR_CMOS jumper from pin 2-4 position back to the original 4-6 position.

7. Insert the power plug into the wall power outlet and turn on the computer.

8. The computer will start up and then restart itself automatically within a few minutes after it has completely refreshed the CMOS. (Please give the computer adequate time to refresh the CMOS. For instance, at least 3-5 minutes or more. You should observe this process of starting up and restarting. If not, you will have to repeat steps 1 and 3 to 8 again. You may wish to put the computer in CMOS clearing mode and leave it in that mode for a considerable amount of time while you attend to other things if you need a break.)

9. If the first attempt is successful, the screen will come on and display a message after a few seconds whereby you can press F1 to boots the computer. In this case, please proceed to the other procedures mentioned in the e-mail message.

10. If the display is not restored on the first attempt, press and hold the power switch to shut the computer down. Then repeat steps 1 and 3 to 8 carefully and you will eventually get the display to work.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me. Thank you very much for your attention and I wish you will get your HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart All-In-One PC to work again soon!

Best regards,
Chris
gmail account: hikarikenkyuujo

"Be Vegan, Make Peace. World Vegan, World Peace. Be Kind to Nature, All Animals and All Beings" - Supreme Master Ching Hai (http://www.suprememastertv.com/)

What Is Veganism? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sepObR6pL1Y

Words of a piglet - Supreme Master Ching Hai - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MQUd2A92y0

Meat Eating is a Major Cause of Global Warming - http://www.suprememastertv.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=sos&wr_id=23

Meat and Dairy Cause Cancer - http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources

Animal Protein -- Meat and Dairy -- Cause Cancer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfsT-qYeqGM

World Vegan World Peace - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-HWEWwERng

Supreme Master Television Constructive Programming for a Peaceful World - http://suprememastertv.com/

Global Warming: MEAT THE TRUTH documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTJsZrX2wI

Why Vegan? Lessons From An Animal Scientist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYQnt-67vs

Loving Hut Restaurants USA - Vegan Cuisine - http://lovinghut.us

Veggie Grill: Fast-Growing Vegan Restaurant Chain (http://veggiegrill.com/) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qN2jE-qKy0

HP Recommended

Hello Dlorenc,

Please do take note that HP does not include the latest BIOS flashing program in the directory of all Windows versions probably they do not think it is necessary to do so. In the case of the HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs, the version 8.16 Rev A BIOS flashing program which was released on Mar 19, 2015 is in the Windows 8 directory along with the older versions whereas the Windows 8.1 directory contains only the version 8.15 Rev A BIOS flashing program which was released on Jul 15, 2014; I do not think BIOS version 8.16 Rev A or any other versions are incompatible with Windows 8.1 except for BIOS version 8.15 Rev A and that is why HP includes only the the version 8.15 Rev A BIOS flashing program in the Windows 8.1 directory.

I am sure you know how to get the version 8.16 Rev A BIOS flashing program. Hence, the following guide is for others who need it.

1. Go to http://support.hp.com/us-en?openCLC=true and click on "Get software and drivers" and enter the model number of your HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs (e.g., 20-d011 or HP ENVY 20-d011) the click on the "Find my product" label.

2. Next, you are asked to select your operation system and version. You can skip selecting the operating system and go straight to select the verion by clicking on the pull-down menu arrow for "Version" and select "Microsoft Windows 8" the click on the "Update" label.

3. Scroll down and you will find "BIOS (4)". Click on "BIOS (4)" and you will find "HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AE5) 8.16 Rev.A 4.3 MB Mar 19, 2015 32-bit or 64-bit Download 64-bit". Click on the "Download 64-bit" label to download the file sp69893.exe (i.e., the version 8.16 Rev A BIOS flashing program).

Best of luck!

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact me. Thank you very much for your attention and I wish you will get your HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart All-In-One PC to work again soon!

Best regards,
Chris
gmail account: hikarikenkyuujo

"Be Vegan, Make Peace. World Vegan, World Peace. Be Kind to Nature, All Animals and All Beings" - Supreme Master Ching Hai (http://www.suprememastertv.com/)

What Is Veganism? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sepObR6pL1Y

Words of a piglet - Supreme Master Ching Hai - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MQUd2A92y0

Meat Eating is a Major Cause of Global Warming - http://www.suprememastertv.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=sos&wr_id=23

Meat and Dairy Cause Cancer - http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources

Animal Protein -- Meat and Dairy -- Cause Cancer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfsT-qYeqGM

World Vegan World Peace - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-HWEWwERng

Supreme Master Television Constructive Programming for a Peaceful World - http://suprememastertv.com/

Global Warming: MEAT THE TRUTH documentary - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTJsZrX2wI

Why Vegan? Lessons From An Animal Scientist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYQnt-67vs

Loving Hut Restaurants USA - Vegan Cuisine - http://lovinghut.us

Veggie Grill: Fast-Growing Vegan Restaurant Chain (http://veggiegrill.com/) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qN2jE-qKy0

HP Recommended

Chris, Thank you for your very detailed and in-depth reply.  I really appreciate that.  The only thing that doesn't match up with what you said is the pin count.  

Here is a screenshot of my HP ENVY I registered and it states it's a 23.

ENVY.jpg

Here is a pic showing the pin count with the jumpers on in the normal boot position (2-3).

20160518_110205.jpg

Here are a few other pics with another angle and no jumpers.

20160518_110211.jpg

20160518_110236.jpg

I will follow your instructions again of moving the jumpers (in my case) to the 1-2 position.  I have done this almost ten times now with different time lengths (one with it sitting over night plugged in and not plugged in).  D0eb0y stated that he left his unplugged while he reset the BIOS.  This doesn't make sense to me, because I thought the computer would need some sort of power in order to reset the BIOS.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing.

HP Recommended

I experienced the black screen on my HP Envy 23 after a recent automatic Windows 10 update.  I got a "WDF" error message which stated the computer would fix the problem and restart.  Two hours later it was still in a perpetual loop of spinning and giving the error message.  I finaly powerd off and got the black screen.  I followed previous instructions to clear the CMOS jumper and got the display working.  The system would not boot and by trial and error I ended up doing a Windows restore.   After the system booted, I once again got the "WDF" error and continuous spinning, and eventually ended up with the black screen again.  I did not get a chance to do a BIOS upgrade due to the "WDF" If I go through the CMOS clear again, what do I do to prevent the WDF so that I can update the BIOS?    I assume I will have to restore windows again.  With my screen black, my wireless keyboard does not work, so none of the keyboard commands are recognized.  I have not IT background, so would appreciate any help for this problem which I have been working on for a week.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.