Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

d0eb0y,

From the symptoms, it seems like you are encountering the Blue Screen of Death problem but with a blank/black screen instead of a blue screen. However, if Steve experienced the same problem on his client's computer and was able to boot up the computer, then it is not a Blue Screen of Death problem. Like Steve said, have faith. Please follow the procedures very carefully and you will revive your computer. Once the computer is booted up, do not shut it down. Please update the BIOS right away very carefully. The computer should be alright thereafter but please be cautioned that future Windows 10 updates might cause driver incompatibility problems. Hence, please backup/clone your system and data drives so that your system can be easily restored. It would be nice to have a set of system recovery discs or system repair disc too if you do not already have one. Best of luck and hope to hear good news from you soon!

Chris

HP Recommended
I'm pretty much in fu@@it mode right now. Idk **bleep** else to do. I'm almost convinced it was windows 10 bios or something. But I'm second guessing myself now. Going on days of wasted hours switching jumpers around and reseating ram and CPU . Grrrrrr. Helpppppo
HP Recommended
Do you think if I back up my hard drive now, I can some how use the windows back up disks to make it work again? Not sure how I would do that if I don't have a back up machine to run the back up disks on. My brother in law lives an hour+ away so it's not that convenient to have him look at it every time I have a suggestion. I really wish hp would have taken some responsibly on this. They should have made sure it was compatible and did driver updates before it allowed the install.
HP Recommended

It's unlikely that the backup disks will make it work again if the machine won't even POST or display anything on the screen.  I agree that HP's response to this problem is subpar, but they aren't exactly known for their intelligence or engineering abilities.  I think back to the days of capacitor plague and the botched soldering jobs on NVIDIA based laptops and I cringe...

HP Recommended
Fixed!!! Your method worked. Kinda. I took cmos battery out. Set CMOS to its reset pins. Unplugged PC and let it sit for an hour. Plugged it in. Crossed my fingers and it booted!!!!
HP Recommended

Excellent! So happy for you! Basically, the computer was in a very confused state due to the incompatibility between Windows 10 and the out-dated BIOS, and it is not easy at all to get the display to work again in some cases whereas in some cases the display came back to life on the first attempt. I wish that you will not run into the sticky Blue Screen of Death problem which would require a complete fresh installation of the operating system. Hence, please be very caution if you wish to continue in using Windows 10 on your HP ENVY 20 TouchSmart PC. In any case, it is always a good practice to backup your data and if possible clone your system/data drive or create an image file for your system/data drive. Best wishes always.

Chris

HP Recommended

I am afraid you did not read the message and procedures carefully. I am referring to creating a backup copy/image of the system/data drive and a set of the system recovery discs after restoring the computer just in case one runs into the Blue Screen of Death problem in the future. Hope this is clear now.

Chris

HP Recommended

I am glad to hear that you guys seemed to have resolved the issue.  However, after reloading the OS back to 8.0, my computer will still boot up to a blank/powerless screen IF i leave the battery in.

If I take it out, it will start up and I just have to F1 to boot it up.

Yes, I have tried new batteries, and still doent work.

Either of you have this issue?

HP Recommended
Misfire. Yup. Its been happening to me too. Lol but not funny. Only with the battery in. But I've noticed that I don't have to open it up to take the battery out I can pull the plug from the back and plug it back in and it boots. Very weird. But I am still on windows 10. Was going to roll back to 8 but seeing how it may be an issue I may hold off. I'm trying to find an updated bios file or even the original bios for my board so I can flash a clean copy to see if that helps. I think its a bios issue. Or there is still remnants of the windows ten file that is causing the problem. May need to do a reformat and install from scratch so the PC will be like the day it was bought. Have u tried that option? I have an envy20 d030xt I believe. I'm gonna keep on it if I find anything I will post. Will u please do the same.
HP Recommended

!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.