Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 700-327c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After receiving a few error messages, I looked at the system files.  I then noticed that many were corrupted and junk was everywhere.  I decided to reinstall win7 pro, to find that the recovery partition was damaged from a format gone wrong.  After vista, HP doesn't send recovery disks with their computers, so I proceeded to order a disk.  I then found that they were over $40.  So, I was wondering if there are any iso downloads of this disk, or any other solution (except downloading a non-HP Os iso).

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

If a non-HP reinstall is the only option, would my OEM product key work on a non-HP iso?

HP Recommended

Hi:

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download...

The OEM product key on your PC's case should work with the ISO file.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use the:

Win 7 Home SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union (EU) countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

Then you can use this tool to transfer the file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

HP Recommended

I have already downloaded an iso from that program, but would I be able to use the OEM version, as I have head that the COEM is limited.

HP Recommended

Many forum members have reported the file works with the OEM key.

The key should also work with the retail file as well if you want to download that one instead.

HP Recommended

What program would you recommend, and are you sure it works because I don't want to have a non-activated version of windows.  The product key must be entered after the HDD format correct?

HP Recommended

If I had to flip a coin, I would go with the retail file.

I say that because in the good old days when Microsoft allowed us all to directly access their digital river download site, you got the retail ISO file, and it almost always worked with the oem product key.

You can either enter the product key when prompted during the beginning of the installation, or skip it and enter it later.

You won't be able to activate the installation until after the OS is installed and you are connected to the internet.

You may have to use the automated telephone system to activate the installation.

HP Recommended

yes, but what program should I use to get the product key?

HP Recommended

There should be a W7 product key on your PC's case.

HP Recommended

There is not, and could I abort the install if the key is invalid? (without removing existing install)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.