cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tgras Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Envy h8-1409 problem video card upgrade problem

Hi.

I just purchased this machine and it has a nice processor and good ram, but comes with a lacking video card (HD7570).  I would like to upgrade the video card to one of the better cards I have from my old machines (Gigabyte GTX 660 ti and an Evga GTS 250).  When I install either of these cards though, I don't get any video output.  I can hear the system booting and the hard drive working, so all seems fine there.

This machine comes with a 460W PSU, which should be enough to run either of these cards, but no go.  To rule out the power supply, I tried out an aftermarket OCZ 600W PSU, but had the same result.  Both cards work in my old machine, so I know the cards are good.

The specs for the main board are here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03132942

As far as I can tell, this should work.  Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks much.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
tgras Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thinking about this, my best guess would be BIOS.  I don't see any BIOS files on the support site for this model though.  Is there something that I'm missing?

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
2,554 2,316 169 524
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820 processor. 16 GB DDR3, PC3 -12800 Ram. AMI bios(UEFI)
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburg) Beats Audio. AMD Graphics, Radeon HD 7570 1GB.

I also have the 7570 card. Have not tried upgrading the card but I have noticed that AMD does not support this card. No driver updates since I purchased this  system in August 2012.

The expansion slot being used by the 7570 is enabled since you are able to use the factory installed 7570 card. There is no logical reason why a replacement card should not work on the basis that all other parameters are being met. Is there a second expansion slot and have you tried the other expansion slot? Are the slots PCIe 2.0 or 3.0? Is there backward compatability with Gen 2 video cards ( is the new card Gen 3.0?) used in 3.0 expansion slots?

I am starting to question the ability to upgrade the video card. I have seen other posts similar to yours and they involve new systems using HP branded AMD OEM cards.

Hope you solve the problem and would like to know how you did it.

Jaco

0 Kudos
Provost
Provost
29,934 27,539 1,807 5,034
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

Only use one video card in your PC and make sure that it is installed in the PCI-E x16 slot.

Boot into the bios (ESC and F10) and go to the Security topics. Try each of the topics and look for a Secure Boot Configuration.  If it exists, then see if Secure Boot is disabled.  One poster claimed that disabling secure boot allowed the video card to installed. I haven't tried this on a HP UEFI enabled motherboard but I know that it is not an issue with another UEFI motherboard that I use.  Your mileage may vary.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
tgras Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

This is now working.  The resolution was to disable secure boot and enable legacy support (both were required).

Also of note, I had to remove the Radeon HD7570 PCI Express card that shipped with the PC and use the onboard Video to change the BIOS settings as the settings would keep reverting with the HD7570 in place.  Once the BIOS settings were in though, the new video card worked perfectly.

Does anyone know what this secure boot stuff is?  Seems quite strange.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tanaria66 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have the same machine and dilemma. Tech tried 3 different AMD cards of varying ages 4000-7000 series radeon hd's. Updated BIOS too, then went back to OEM 7570. Any difference between AMD and Nvidia in this situation?So after secure boot disable do you have to re-enable it after the card is working? Hoping this works as I cant afford a new motherboard yet.Thanks.

0 Kudos
SalmanSabir Tutor
Tutor
13 12 1 2
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Bios settings and exixting driver for the device causes these issues.

0 Kudos
tgras Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi.

Hope it works for you.  It sounds like that same issue I was having with my two nVidia's. 

Again, the steps I followed were:

- remove 7570

- use onboard Video (you will have to remove the plastic covers over the onboard DVI slots)

- go into BIOS (F10) and disable secure boot and enable legacy support

- put in desired video card and reboot.

- leave BIOS settings with disable secure boot and enable legacy support

and hopefully you're up and running.  I've been running for about a week now with no issue on my 660 ti

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Provost
Provost
29,934 27,539 1,807 5,034
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

From what I read on UEFI mode, some video cards don't support UEFI video extension. You might want to try Legacy mode and see if that corrects your situation. That would also imply disabling secure boot.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
curtiola Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

im having the same problem but in an Envy h8-1419, can't seem to install a GTX 560 ti, i have tried the card in another PC and it works fine, the AMD 7570 HD still works in the h8-1419 so the PCI slot isn't the issue & neither is the card. the fan on the GTX 560 ti spins but its not detected in the device manager at all, i have uninstalled all AMD drivers and am using the integrated INTEL GPU at the moment, updated the chipset drivers, the BIOS and the UEFI diagnostics, and done a cmos, i also tried disabling secure boot and enabling legacy boot in the BIOS, still nothing showing in the device manager, i'm at my wits end and i could really use some help
i calculated the power consumption of all the components and the PSU at 460W should be enough for the GTX 560 ti, im starting to think the IPMMB-FM (Formosa) motherboard just isn't compatible with the GTX 560 ti but i cant find any info on this

thanks in advance for any help you can provide 🙂
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation