Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
not sure
Microsoft Windows Vista

HP Factory image is 10gb. Free space now at 921 MB and D drive is 9.73 full and displayed in red. Tried to run defrag, and disk clean up with no real results. Also tried system restore and keep getting message "System restore did not complere successfully.

where do I go from here, and what is the probable causation?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Poppatros, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I think the model number is m84301(ABA). if not, could you please tell me where to find it.(HP)

Moniter is an ACER Model S232HL

HP Recommended

@Poppatros, is this your model:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Media-Center-m8400-Desktop-PC-series/3686662/model/3...

If not, here is a guide to help you find it.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

> HP Factory image is 10gb. Free space now at 921 MB and D drive is 97.3 full and displayed in red.

> Tried to run defrag, and disk clean-up with no real results.

According to the other person, your PC is: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01374052 and has a 750 GB disk-drive. 

So, subtract 10 GB for that "Factory Image" partition, and (approximately) another 10GB for the "HP Diagnostics" partition, and your 'C:' drive-letter will be over 700 GB.

How full is that 'C:' drive?  Probably not full at all.

> Also tried System Restore and keep getting message "System restore did not complere successfully.

This is a different problem than the "fullness" of the 'D:' drive.

> where do I go from here,

Ignore the message about the "fullness" -- in day-to-day operation of Windows Vista, only the 'C:' drive-letter is active -- the 'D:' drive-letter is used ONLY if you do a "System Recovery" (not a "System Restore").

> and what is the probable causation?

The required files for the "Factory Image" only needed 10 GB (rounded-up) of disk-space, and the files on that drive never change, so the partition was allocated to hold _exactly_ enough space to store the required files.

P.S. Microsoft's support for Windows Vista ends in April 2017 -- it's time to consider upgrading to a newer version of Windows.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.