cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Dunsany
Level 4
76 75 5 12
Message 51 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Firebird 802/803 GPU Upgrade Thread 

In the above thread I describe how I modified the NV_DISP.INF for GeForce driver version 296.10 to include the Device ID for two GeForce GTX 560M videocards I installed in one of my two Firebirds. Download and extract the GeForce driver 296.10 files and select No when asked if you want to continue. I have the Device ID of the Firebird's GeForce 9800 S GPU's memorized but see if my description makes enough sense as it is.

2 x HP Firebird 802 + 2 x HP 2159m monitor + Windows 7 Home Premium + Windows 8.1 Pro
GeForce Driver Version 266.58 WHQL installs correctly without modification.
GeForce Driver Version 296.10 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but Nvidia Control Panel is broken.
GeForce Driver Version 341.44 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but 2-way SLI is broken.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
artotinis
1 1 0 0
Message 52 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hp pavilion p6606 i need a graphic card for gaming ....and i don't know which are compatible with my pc help please
0 Kudos
DOHhpfirebird09
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 53 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That was a great post.  Thank you.

I suppose the most obvious question would be if the 296.10 driver are actually a faster option.  Is there an improvement in performance from the 266.58? 

I took your advice and did an install with 266.58 before I went any further and it worked perfectly.  If there is no real improvement in performance I will probably stick with these.

ANOTHER QUESTION - am I to understand (I just got here) that you have been able to successfully upgrade your Firebird 802 in a meaningful way?  Cause, man I would love to get that going.

0 Kudos
Dunsany
Level 4
76 75 5 12
Message 54 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're welcome.

I've run the Unigine Heaven DX11 Benchmark 3.0 on every GeForce driver version from 266.58 to 296.10 and there's very little difference in the scores.

I did a few hours of testing The Secret World Beta last June with driver versions 266.58, 280.26 and 296.10. It was more subjective than the Heaven Benchmark but none of them seemed to be obviously faster.

There might be some incremental improvement in speed for the Firebird's old GPU's but I think Nvidia concentrates most of its efforts on their newer GPU's; 400, 500, 600 series, etc. In my experience most of the improvement in speed or quality can be explained by the SLI Profiles, sometimes called Game Profiles, with each new GeForce driver version.

Any game you play that doesn't have a Game Profile will play in Single-GPU mode on one of the two GeForce 9800 S GPU's. That might good enough on older games, because a single 9800 S was pretty good for its time, but for a newer game like The Secret World it really struggles. I created a Game Profile for TSW, using Nvidia's GeForce SLI Profile Tool, by copying and editing the Age of Conan Game Profile and it was much faster.

One of my two Firebirds is near stock. The other Firebird has an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 CPU @ 3.0 GHz, 8 GB memory, two 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drives in a RAID 0 (striped) array, and two GTX 560M videocards. If or when I find a way to enable 2-way SLI and run the latest GeForce drivers I should really stop spending any more money on it.

2 x HP Firebird 802 + 2 x HP 2159m monitor + Windows 7 Home Premium + Windows 8.1 Pro
GeForce Driver Version 296.10 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but Nvidia Control Panel is broken.
GeForce Driver Version 341.44 WHQL requires modified NV_DISP.INF file to install correctly but 2-way SLI is broken.
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Dunsany
Level 4
76 75 5 12
Message 55 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I almost forgot. I do prefer playing The Secret World with driver version 296.10 and a custom Game Profile based on the Age of Conan Game Profile. It's subjective but it does seem better somehow if not obviously faster than 266.58.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Dunsany
Level 4
76 75 5 12
Message 56 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Another thing I almost forgot. When I startup The Secret World while running driver version 296.10 I get a warning message telling me my drivers are outdated. When I startup TSW while running driver 266.58 I get the previous warning plus a second warning telling me my drivers are EXTREMELY outdated. 😛

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
EnzoMatrix
Level 3
45 43 2 8
Message 57 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello All Firebird Owners,

It is been a long time since I have posted here on the HP forums about drivers for our awesome Firebird computers. My 802 (with OCZ memory) is still running flawlessly on Vista 64. However, I am wondering if ANYONE has had any success in UPGRADING our video drivers above 290.53?

I see that the newest out now is the 331.65. I understand that Nvidia (in their infinite wisdom) has dropped the line(s) supporting our; 9800S and 'Hybrid-SLI' interface. Honestly? I really think that ALL Firebird owners should stand together and demand that HP/Nvidia support our products or release ALL source code and instructions for us to revise create drivers that are up to date.

It IS kind of 'bad corporate morals' to create a 'high priced' computer system only to totally DUMP on all the customers once they have their money.

I am backing up my computer, then I am going to unpack the 331.65 and try to add the lines of code to the Nv_Disp.inf for our 9800S. Now, the only remaining problem will be drivers for the 'Hybrid-SLI' bridge.

IF anyone is still watching these boards... post and let me know.

I cannot afford a newer computer. I am forced to try and update this Firebird and any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP... you totally boned a LARGE number of GOOD people... GREAT consumers... and SUPER Gamers... for What? Just to make Meg a little richer so she could throw it all away FAILING at a run against Jerry Brown?

How's THAT working out for ya?

0 Kudos
DOHhpfirebird09
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 58 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I check every once and a while, just to see if there's any updates. I'm getting ready to do a total format and I am NERVOUS. Not sure about proprietary drivers and that sort of thing.  Would love to have some feedback and advice.

0 Kudos
EnzoMatrix
Level 3
45 43 2 8
Message 59 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello All,

I have just pulled all the lines of code, pretaining to our Geforce 9800 S FROM 290.53 NV_DISP.INF

(NVIDIA_DEV.062F.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 S")

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]

%NVIDIA_DEV.062F.01% = Section004, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_062F

[NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

%NVIDIA_DEV.062F.01% = Section005, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_062F

[Strings]

DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows Vista / Windows 7 (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

NVIDIA = "NVIDIA"

NVIDIA_A = "NVIDIA"

NVIDIA_B = "NVIDIA "

NVIDIA_DEV.062F.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 9800 S"

I AM having a bit of trouble translating (for the lack of a better word) the code from the 'old' unified driver to the 'NEW' unified driver package. I just KNOW that this can be done. Verde used to do this over at;

Nvidia.com/Laptop video 2 go.com/ and other driver support web sites.

Problem, the breakdown of the code groupings has REALLY changed and I am not really familiar with the 'new' driver structure to be sure that I am adding the right code in the right places to make this work... and not BSOD or, worse, totally fry our cards or OS.

ANYONE with more experience with modding dirvers... more time with the new driver packaging... We ALL would be forever in your debt.

Still working... just wanted to update and ask for some backup.

Thanks,

Enzomatrix

0 Kudos
Dunsany
Level 4
76 75 5 12
Message 60 of 60
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DOHhpfirebird09 wrote:

I check every once and a while, just to see if there's any updates. I'm getting ready to do a total format and I am NERVOUS. Not sure about proprietary drivers and that sort of thing.  Would love to have some feedback and advice.

What are you nervous about? What do you want to know?

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation