Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (632 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP G70-460US. New Disk Drive. How to create a recorvery partition and populate?

I have a HPG70 laptop with Windows Vista 64 Bit OS that has been having problems with Disk-Errors.  I was using Clickfree to completely backup my computer every week, so I decided to buy a NEW hard drive and re-image my computer on the new disk.   I was surprised to find that the instuction to boot from the USB attached CLICKFREE device would NOT work on HP laptops!   I had to re-install the old drive, get to the CLICKFREE webside and create a Bootable CD with the easyfix software to completely re-image my computer.   After the re-installation of the new drive and about 2 hours my computer disk was completely restored.. Hurray!!

I was reading the HP docs on creation of a recovery DVD, just in case anothor catastrophic HARD drive crash, so I decided to create a set of recovery disks as per the video..  I had never created these because when I purchased my Computer, I did NOT have any DVDs to create them.

I looked at "MY COMPUTER" and saw that there was a Recovery partition (D: about 12 GIGs) and opened it and it said HP only, so I decided to proceed.  

When I started the Recovery disk creation program, it gave me the error message that there was NOT any revocery partition and would NOT create any DVDs.  I did NOT have a DVD in the drive when I started to process because I thought that it would POP the drive open when it started, but it never got that far..

How do I start the creation of the recovery disks when the recovery disk creation program says there is Nothing there??

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: HP G70-460US. New Disk Drive. How to create a recorvery partition and populate?

This is NOT official HP Customer Support and I, as most other persons on this forum, do not work for HP. This is a peer-to-peer user supported forum for HP consumer class products. HP maintains no official presence on this forum and it is unlikely that HP will respond in an official capacity. Any reply from a HP employee represents their own opinion and not that of HP's.

Since I don't work for HP and I don't use "Clickfree", I will not be able to figure this out on behalf of youself nor either company. What I can tell you is that during the installation of a new OS, an upgrade, or some imaging / backups, the pointers to the Recovery Partition are lost. Using the steps I have provide, most persons are able to recover their computer to a factory like condition.

The way I would try it, is to make sure you have a fully funtional backup of your OS partition and all data. Next, I would try a recovery using the "HP Recovery Manager"... then "F11"... and lastly, marking the "HP Recovery patition" as active. One of these methods should recover the computer. Once recovered,you should be able to create a set of HP Recovery Discs.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

View solution in context
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (612 Views)

Re: HP G70-460US. New Disk Drive. How to create a recorvery partition and populate?

When you replaced your hard drive and "copied" the image over, the "pointers" to the HP Recovery partition were most likely "lost." To create your recovery discs at this time, you will return the computer to a factory like state.

You may be able to use the HP Recovery Manager to start this process. If that doesn't work, you may have to start the computer and tap "F11" to start the recovery. If that doesn't work, you can try marking the HP Recovery partition as "active" in the Windows Disk Management Console. When you reboot your computer, the HP recovery process should begin. This should return the computer to a factory like state.

If none of the above works, please see Vista Home Premium 32b SP1 + Supp 1 Recovery Kit to purchase HP Recovery Discs directly from HP.

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (608 Views)

Thanks. Frrom what I understand is "YOU CAN'T reactivate a RECOVERY partition and create the disks".  I definitely do NOT want to return my PC that I have been using every day for 3 years back to the factory state!!

That is like torture!!

When my PC was under warranty, the PC DVD quit working.  I had the Microsoft Backups, so I sent it in for repairs.  They determined that the hard drive was bad and replaced my hard drive without asking.   When I got the PC back it had the factory image.   It took me over 2 weeks to restore my data and all of the NON factory installed programs with all of the security KEYS, etc. etc, etc.  Many calls to the NON-Existant support staffs for some of the products including Microsoft! 

Of Course, I was surprised that the MICROSOFT backups did NOT include anything for M/S Office Outlook, so all history E-mails wer lost..  What a nightmare!!!!

I have a CLICKFREE backup system that copies everything, but I wanted to create a set of recovery disks, just in case something should happen to the CLICKFREE..

I thought that since, the recovery Partition was on the drive and populated with data, it would (and should be) just a switch to turn on to read the data and create the recovery disks.  My Mistake!!! 

Thanks

Top Student
Message 4 of 6 (606 Views)

The CLICKFREE re-image should have restored it to the state that it was in when I backed it up.   ALL other area of my G70 have been restored and worked perfectly..  Why NOT the "RECOVERY" partition?   If I can see the D:Drive partition and see the data that is in that partition, why can't the software that creates the "RECOVERY DISKS" see it.  I get the message that "RECOVERY PARTITION NOT FOUND!"

Since the pointers are lost to the recovery partition, how certain are you that the boot from the recovery "D: drive"  will actually work?? 

Is it worthless and should be deleted??

Maybe you should get with the CLICKFREE support staff and figure this out!   That would be nice!!

Provost
Message 5 of 6 (595 Views)

This is NOT official HP Customer Support and I, as most other persons on this forum, do not work for HP. This is a peer-to-peer user supported forum for HP consumer class products. HP maintains no official presence on this forum and it is unlikely that HP will respond in an official capacity. Any reply from a HP employee represents their own opinion and not that of HP's.

Since I don't work for HP and I don't use "Clickfree", I will not be able to figure this out on behalf of youself nor either company. What I can tell you is that during the installation of a new OS, an upgrade, or some imaging / backups, the pointers to the Recovery Partition are lost. Using the steps I have provide, most persons are able to recover their computer to a factory like condition.

The way I would try it, is to make sure you have a fully funtional backup of your OS partition and all data. Next, I would try a recovery using the "HP Recovery Manager"... then "F11"... and lastly, marking the "HP Recovery patition" as active. One of these methods should recover the computer. Once recovered,you should be able to create a set of HP Recovery Discs.

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Top Student
Message 6 of 6 (565 Views)

HI,

Thanks for the update on the purchase of the recovery DISK for my HP G70.    Actually $13.95 is NOT to bad to be able to recover my PC back to the factory state.   Then I could use CLICKFREE to retore the rest of my stuff.   I might try that out.  I though that there would be a quicker way to just re-establish the pointers or re-populate the recovery partition.. 

Why do you just allow the creation of 1 set of recovery disks??  Does NOT make much sense!  If the recovery disk are serial number specific then you could only restore to one computer.  If the Disks are NOT SN# specific, you can use them to restore 1,000s. 

Just ODD that after restoring all other programs and they work perfect that this function does not. 

Thanks for your help..

P.S.  The SURVEY POP-UP does NOT work!!  It tell me to click "YES", but there is no "YES" on the screen..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation