cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Nana_Curious
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Media Pavillion p6203w oldie but goody expansion question

HP Recommended
Pavillion 6203w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I think I have done a very good job of taking care of my p6203w...it is clean as a pin, regularly updated, drivers, software, security, monitor speakers, basically I love this computer.  I have my fair share of portable devices but when it comes to detailed work I want my desktop.

I would like to open her up double the memory, ram, and add another drive to her.  Any suggestions on what is a fair an reasonable rate for parts and labor and installation and/or could a generally handywoman arts and crafts senior citizen do it herself with a schematic, directions and a few small tools?

I have utilized about half of this piece of equipments functionality, it was top of the line when I brought it, I think she can serve me quite a bit longer with some upgrades.

Sorry I was forced to choice software but what I really want is hardware advise or good honorable vendors to pick some up

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,609 10,605 990 2,987
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SUPPORT PAGE for that PC indicates that the memory slots can only support  2GB DDR2 DIMMs.  The motherboard shown has only two slots, so unless you happen to have a variation that has four slots, then the RAM cannot be increased.

Depending on how handy you are, it might be possible to replace the hard drive with a larger capacity drive, since that motherboard uses SATA ports. And the processor could be upgraded easily by a DIYer but only if you feel comfortable doing it.  There are precautions and skills required to follow for that task.  Other than that, I do not see much else that can be done easily.  If you are friends with anyone at a senior center that dabbles in computer work, that would be my advise.  They could tell you what is in the realm of there skills and either show you how or assist in the work or both.

Before someone suggests a graphics card replacement, be forewarned it would probably require a power supply replacement.  Not a major job put again it adds expense and needs skills.

Any vendor that has parts old enough for this task would probably be selling them on EBay and they would be relatively inexpensvie, so if you find a friend or make some at the senior center, that would be my choice.  I only say that because you mentioned it and it would be a reasonable way to get what you wish for.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation