cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Hinxster
Level 1
13 11 0 0
Message 1 of 23
Flag Post

HP MediaSmart error after upgrading to Windows 7

HP Recommended

I recently upgraded my HP IQ816 from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium. I installed all Windows 7 software updates from HP's website. Everything works great except the HP MediaSmart application. HP Update repeatedly notifies me that an "HP MediaSmart DVD Application Update" for Windows 7 is required. When I attempt to install the update, I receive the following error message: "Error!! The product defination file lost." Attempts to update this software from directly within the MediaSmart application results in the same error. I've tried uninstalling MediaSmart altogether. The same error appears and the product will not uninstall. Downloading and installing the update directly from Cyberlink returns the same error. HP refuses to help since I changed the OS that shipped with their machine and I've been unable to find a solution anywhere else on the internet. Many thanks in advance for the suggestions and help! 

Model #: IQ816
Product #: FK783AA-ABA
Software Build #: 84NAv6XrA1
PCBRAND: Pavilion

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
ChuckC1812
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 2 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A lot of us are in the same boat.  Blu-Ray stops working after an upgrade to Windows 7.  HP tech support is a joke.  They told me that it's because I purchased a retail copy of Windows 7.  BUT, I purchased it a month before their free upgrade to Windows 7 was announced that supposedly allows Blu-Ray to work.  I said, "OK, then I'll purchase that upgrade from you," HP said, "Sorry, we don't sell it."  This just stinks!  This kind of customer service will kill their business over time.  You ask to escalate this within HP and you get a call from the escalation team and they say, "Yep, that's the way it is!"  Worthless.

0 Kudos
JimT
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 3 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok try this,...

1. Download and SAVE this update to your computer

HP MediaSmart DVD Application Update

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL31151/pv-77263-1/sp44452.exe

This is the HP Vista x64 driver (I know its windows 7 your on, Vista drivers are compatible)

2. Install winrar on your PC, please use google to find free download of winrar

3. Extract the sp44452.exe file contents using file explorer, do this by right click on the file you downloaded to your local hard drive and select "Extract to sp44452\..."

4. then move into the sp44452\src directory, you'll see file named HPMediaSmartDVD.exe, do the same, extract the contents of this file using file explorer and "Extract to HPMediaSmartDVD\..."

5. Ok now, you move to sp44452\Source\HPMediaSmartDVD\hp\tmp\src directory and run setup.exe from there

6. You should be right as rain now... Enjoy, if it works I expect kudos since HP Support haven't been able to help...

Cheers

jim

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
bcope01
Level 2
41 38 0 0
Message 4 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jim T:

This did not work for me (Touchsmart IQ507, running Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit), so no kudos just yet. :Wink: 

But keep trying, please!

Received the following error message:

0 Kudos
ChuckC1812
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 5 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jim,

I tried it as well and got the same error message, (to a different path but same error message).  I'd sure like to be able to play Blu-Ray movies with Windows 7 like I could with Vista.

Keep trying.

Chuck

0 Kudos
JimT
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 6 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i see,..

i wonder if your region settings are configured incorrectly..

check your region settings (Under the administrative tab) make sure you're got the right one set.

You could also try finding another 1033.mst file from one of the other sp files, try sp44400.exe that is Live TV and has transformation files for the setup as well. or copy one of the other mst files (try german 1031.mst)

HP Elite X2 1012 G2, HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a, HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G2020T, HP MediaSmart EX495 Server, HP MediaVault 2020, HP ENVY 120 AiO Printer
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Dartan
Level 4
Level 4
73 73 2 15
Message 7 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP MediaSmart DVD 3.0 may fail to install in Windows 7 with the following error:

Error applying transforms.

Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.

c:\hp\temp\src\1033.mst HP is aware of this issue and is currently working on a fix.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01778879

Signature:
I work for HP.

Please click on Kudos as Thanks 🙂
Please solve the thread once you are done so other members of the forums know where to look for solutions.
JimT
Level 6
595 539 31 56
Message 8 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dartan wrote:

HP MediaSmart DVD 3.0 may fail to install in Windows 7 with the following error:

Error applying transforms.

Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.

c:\hp\temp\src\1033.mst HP is aware of this issue and is currently working on a fix.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01778879

I don't wish to sound picky but the original error mentioned doesn't cover the error later reported and it was reported from some other user in the forum.  I run win 7 on my touchsmart PC and have successfully installed MediaSmart DVD on to it.  So I think the kudos you got were ok by me but none deserved...

0 Kudos
ChuckC1812
Level 3
37 34 1 4
Message 9 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, the kudo's were part of our strategy to motivate you to motivate HP to fix this issue.  So, now that you have accepted the kudo's, will we have a fix on Monday? :generic:  Do what you can, this is frustrating.

One other thing, (to make sure we're/you are chasing the right fix).  Not only can I not install the HP MediaSmart DVD software, but I can't play Blu-ray disks which I could under Vista.  When HP gets the installation problem fixed for the HP MediaSmart DVD software, is it your understanding that we/I will be able to play Blu-ray movies?

Thanks for your help, ye ole' kudo's dude.

Chuck

0 Kudos
Hinxster
Author
Level 1
13 11 0 0
Message 10 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Jim T. - Could the reason that you never received the error that I reported be that you were wiser than me and uninstalled the HP MediaSmart software in Vista before upgrading to Windows 7? Just curious, since it appears that many users of HP PCs like me were simply following the Vista to Windows 7 upgrade directions that are posted on HP's site which do not call for the unistallation of MediaSmart before the upgrade begins. Here's hoping that a solution is discovered soon. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation