cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GregoryC3
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP PAVILION HOME 7955

HP Recommended
HP PAVILION HOME7955
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello, First of all, yeah I know, I need a newer computer.....Sorry, I'm a struggling musician with a low paying day job. I only use the computer to design my CD artwork once a month. Suddenly it does not turn on. I have a very tiny green light on the front of the tower when it is plugged in, but computer does not turn on. My musician brain is thinking, possibly just need to replace some sort of a power supply. I know the power outlet is working, and I do get that green light on front. do i perhaps have a common easily fixed problem here ? thank you so much. Gregory

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,611 3,965
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GregoryC3

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I Understand the computer isn't turning on anymore,

I'm not sure you would call a "DJ" a musician but I happen to be a part-time DJ and I know exactly what you mean...Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Do you have a green light on the back of the computer? does it flash?

When was the last time it worked? Noticed any thunderstorms lately that could have caused this issue?

While you respond to that, let's start with a power drain to remove any excessive static that could have been causing the issue:

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
GregoryC3
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Riddle_Decipher, 

Thanks much. That's exactly what I was looking for, some kind of re-set. But...it didn't work.

To answer your questions, yes I have a green light on the back, steady, not flashing.

We have frequent thunderstorms and more frequent power outages. They always make us reset all the VCR/DVDs in the house, and answering machines and microwaves. Have never had a problem with the computer. It is plugged into a surge protector, not just a power strip that is supposed to be a surge protector.

Since last time the computer worked, to the day it wouldn't turn on, there were no storms or situations.

The computer is very old.

I'm betting I need to replace something. I'm also betting I could get the needed part through e-bay, and easily install/replace it myself. I have replaced hard drives before ( Masterlink Audio device ). 

So since computer has no power, I did steps 2,3 and 4 of your "hard reset", several times. Nothing changes.

OK, any next suggestions ?

Thanks again so much for your time and knowledge.

Tell me more about your DJ work.  Music is my passion, especially the very obscure and eclectic.

Greg

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation