Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
11 7 0 11
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Pavilion 20-b313w full reset and reinstall with recovery dics

HP Recommended
Pavilion 20-b313w
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I've been trying to remove malware from my system for way to long, so I decided to do a thorough reset. Before I did it I order the recovery disc set for my computer to reinstall everything but unfortunately reinstall from disc option never came up. So my computer used the recovery partition to reinstall. I believe my computer is still infected because it's in the partition. And because after the reset there were 3 programs in control panel's uninstall program list that were up to date without an internet connection because I disconnected my computer from the modem during the whole reset process and I'm 100% sure I did not reconnect before I saw those programs. Control panel's installed updates list also showed that the 3 programs had updates installed. So since that data is still on my system Please tell me it's possible for me to do a real thorough reset that removes hard drive and recovery partition and then I can reinstall everything with the HP recovery discs. And please also give advice on updating after. Should I do Windows updates first or HP updates first. And when it comes to updating the BIOS there are 3 updates available. Do I download and install all 3 starting with oldest to newest or just the newest release? Then when my Windows 8 is fully updated with both HP and Windows tips on how to reinstall Windows 8.1 (free update from Windows Store, no disc) and update that? I know I'm asking a lot but I just want to make sure I do this right so I can enjoy my computer again and if there's an issue I'll have some kind of a reference to look at to figure out where I went wrong. Thank you to everyone who reads this and I'm especially grateful to those who take the time to share their knowledge with me by reply.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,755 22,416 2,591 8,801
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You did ask a lot, but you seem to have a lot going on. :Wink:

Here is the System Recovery / Backup / Restore Troubleshooting section for the computer.  I suggest that you carefully read the guides that seem to pertain to your situation.  Read this guide to see if it will accomplish your goal to wipe your computer of the malicious software.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
11 7 0 11
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you agree I' asked a lot I'll start with my main concern. I don't trust my Recovery Partition becuase I believe it took to long to find and remove malware from my computer and that allowed for infection to spread to my Recovery Partition. I'm probably being paranoid but after I did a thorough reset I had 3 current updates installed before I reconnected to the internet. I'm not saying the updates are malware because I found out that certain programs like Microsoft Visual C++ will sometimes update it's system file and recovery file. Unfortunatly that makes me believe if that malware can do the same. So what I'm hoping is a possibility is. Can I some how delete or replace my Recovery Partition either before or during the reset process? And then reinstall everything using the 5 recovery disc set (that use to come with your new PC) I order from HP? A clean install.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information.

Your best option is to use the Recovery media that you should have made when you bought the computer.  If you didn't do this, the only other option that you have is buy the media from HP.  The Recovery media will return your computer to its original configuration and reinstall the Recovery partition.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG Z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory ( 32 GB ); MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; 3- Corsair QL140 RGB Fans w/Commander Pro and Lighting Node Core; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

I am not an HP employee.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
11 7 0 11
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

AHA! Thank you, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I already bought the recovery media from HP. Sorry if I confused you with the remark about it used to be in the box when you bought your computer. Ok, so after that do I:

1) Update Windows first or HP?

2) How should I handle the BIOS updates for Windows 8, download and install all 3 from oldest to newest or just the most recent? OR should I just install the most recent BIOS update for Windows 8.1 which I will be upgrading back to after I've fully updated Windows 8?

I hoped I explained that right, if not could you point me to a Dos & Don't update tutorial or When & How update tutorial. Thank you for your time and patients with me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Thank you for the additional information.

@PurplePassion22 wrote:

AHA! Thank you, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I already bought the recovery media from HP. Sorry if I confused you with the remark about it used to be in the box when you bought your computer. Ok, so after that do I:

1) Update Windows first or HP?  I would update Windows first.  This will assure that the OS is the best possible.  Then, update the HP software and drivers.

2) How should I handle the BIOS updates for Windows 8, download and install all 3 from oldest to newest or just the most recent? OR should I just install the most recent BIOS update for Windows 8.1 which I will be upgrading back to after I've fully updated Windows 8?  Yes, I would update the oldest first.  Also, once you update to Win 8.1, there are two BIOS updates available for it.  I don't believe that any of them are cumulative updates.  At least, it doesn't say so.

I hoped I explained that right, if not could you point me to a Dos & Don't update tutorial or When & How update tutorial. Thank you for your time and patients with me.  Your explanation was very good.  You are welcome.  I am here to be patient and help others solve their problems and learn from the experience.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

I am not an HP employee.

Highlighted
Author
Level 2
11 7 0 11
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the information. I've wrote it all down and I'm going to begin right now. When all is done I'll give you feedback on how everything went.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Please do let me know the outcome.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

I am not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation