cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ERodriguez11
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

HP Pavilion 550-153W Turns on then Immediatly Off

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-153W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hello, after an attempt to upgrade my PC's CPU my computer now goes to turn on and then shuts down immediately. I have always cleaned it regularly and have installed other upgrades to my PC (GPU and PSU) without any issues. I don't know what's wrong with it as it was working 30 Minutes before the attempted upgrade (from an i3 to an i7) without any issues. Now, I can't even get my PC to turn on.
5 REPLIES 5
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,610 27,046 3,123 6,759
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ERodriguez11

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Have you tried putting the old i3 processor back in and rebooting? 

If so, does it then reboot, or does it still shut off immediately?

You should try pressing Esc or F2 when rebooting to see if you can get into the diagnostics menu -- and if you can, run all the diagnostics that are there.

I can't find any compatibility information on i7 processors for this PC, so did you confirm that the processor you have IS compatible before you switched it?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ERodriguez11
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have tried putting the i3 in and I'm having the same issue. I've taken it out, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste, looked for a bunch of troubleshooting. Checked to make sure all connections are secure. And same issue. Also I did make sure it was compatable off of HP's website. I'm fresh out of ideas. It's not a power supply issue I don't believe either because in the time my pc does power up the fans spin, etc. with that, it powers up and within 1-2 seconds, it shuts back down.
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ERodriguez

What I'm hoping is that the i7 didn't cause some damage to the motherboard -- but that's going to be hard to determine.

If you repeatedly pres Esc while booting, you should get a utilities menu, from which you can select some hardware diagnostics.

I would run those to see if they all check out.

In addition, here is a link to an HP site where you can download some additional diagnostic tools:  http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_...

Good Luck

ERodriguez11
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
After reapplying thermal paste to the i3, the PC will turn on as in (fans spin up) but my power button still flicks on and back off as in the PC isn't on. My only thought is that the motherboard either has issues, or something is shorting out somewhere. Or the power button is sticking . I'm fresh out of ideas.
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry to hear you're still having problems ...

Probably telling you stuff you already know, but when applying the thermal paste, use a flat scraper (a credit card is useful for this), to remove all but a very thin film of the paste. To much paste actually defeats the thermal transfer and serves as an INSULATOR.

Also, although there's no manual with the details, with HP tower PCs, the front of the case is usually held on with six pressure catches, three on each side, and the front usually can be removed by pressing three catches on one side and swiveling the front of the case sideways.

Once you remove the front, you can see if the power switch it sticking.

Good Luck

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation