Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mackem_Beefy Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-153na - replace DVD-Writer Drive with internal Blu-Ray Writer drive?

HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-153n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-153na - can I replace the internal DVD-Writer Drive with an internal Blu-Ray Writer drive?

If so can anyone give me a link or part number for a suitable internal Blu_Ray writer drive?

Do I need any extra SATA or power lead cables?

Ian

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
100541 13872 21313
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Desktop - 550-153na - replace DVD-Writer Drive with internal Blu-Ray Writer drive?

Hi:

It looks like you need this part number...this drive does not come with a bezel.

762435-700 

It is used on various model PC's including the 550-xxx series.

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/part_where_used.aspx?mscssid=4986CDDC143244BD918D8F4919A4444F&SearchCri...

Unfortunately, it is not orderable from HP in the UK from what I can tell.

Mackem_Beefy Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What about part number 735600-001 ?

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=B8096F2D85864C3FB8CB25FC1ABEE16C&SearchIn=P...

762435-700 as you suggest may be obsolete.

Ian

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
100541 13872 21313
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The part number you posted I do not believe will work.

It is a 12.7mm thickness, and the one for your model is 9.5mm thickness.

I doubt the part is obsolete.  You can get it in the USA directly from HP for $163.00.

In the UK it looks like you have to contact a reseller, or perhaps check on ebay.

Mackem_Beefy Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll attempt to purchase from the US website as I want the Blu - Ray capacity built in.

At the moment I'm using a SAT A-to-USB adaptor to run the removed internal Blu - Ray player that was in my old PC and it's a messy solution to say the least.

Cheers,

Ian
0 Kudos
Mackem_Beefy Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the end I've had to order the part from Germany as I can't easily source in the UK.   I got the part from here.

https://www.ipc-computer.eu

However, at least I've managed to obtain it and I will be able to have an internal Blu-Ray capacity, though whether I get the part before Christmas is a different matter!!! :-)

Thanks again,

Ian

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
100541 13872 21313
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Ian.

Glad you were able to get it from someplace!

Please post back and let us know how your optical drive upgrade went.

0 Kudos
Mackem_Beefy Top Student
Top Student
9 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've replaced the drive now and the computer now reads blu-ray disks without me having to use an external drive, which is a big space saver.   That said, it was a costly, difficult to get hold of upgrade  (at least here in Europe) if you compare the price with standard blu-ray drives that would have fitted into a 5.25" drive bay.   So I think this is something HP needs to look at.

The computer itself is very well put together (minus the use of a non-standard optical drive) and extremely fast (even faster now I've installed a SSD as the boot drive with the original HDD being used for extra storage) so the optical drive issue is my only minor gripe with it.

All in all, the 550-153na is a good machine.

Ian

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
100541 13872 21313
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Ian:

That is great news that everything went well.

No doubt the part would cost a ton of money here too. 

I now see that the part # I originally posted is no longer available in the USA either from HP.  It now says to contact reseller.

I bought the HP branded blue ray drive for my HP 8200 Elite CMT, and I think it set me back around $140.

I could have put any standard 5.25" drive in it, but I like my equipment to have the components that HP would have installed.  I would not have liked the PC looking all the same with an optical drive that didn't match the rest of the PC's design or color.

0 Kudos
justme0987 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I bought a blu ray for my HP Pavilion 550, cannot figure out how to install

any suggestions

Thanks

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation