Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey Fred,

Yes, I did a full system restore and nothing changed.  Diagnostic check (F2) showed no hardware problems either.   In addition to all the steps I listed, I flushed the BIOS by removing the battery, unplugging the power cord, holding down the power button for 10 seconds to drain the power supply, then let it sit overnight before putting in the battery and trying again..  Just for good measure, I reset the BIOS to "Default" settings.  This is something you might want to try.

I'm hoping some of the smart folks in this forum will jump in with more suggestions and possibly a fix based on a similar problem.  No one yet!

HP Recommended

I wonder if anyone can diagnose the fault messages I get in bluescreenview.exe, then.   The guy at HP SmartFriends, who did all the scanning of my system and then thought he was done, when asked about that, after he looked, then said that my system needed to be reinstalled from scratch.  Maybe that was just a stock answer? 

Anyway, I'm keeping my eye on this thread to see if anyone else chimes in as well.  I suppose I should do some other searches to see what I can find too. 

In any event, thanks for your input.  Now I know I needn't waste my time backing this thing up to its initial existence and then reinstalling and updating and upgrading the software all over again.

Still, as of this writing, I have not had a blue screen and/or inability to boot up since last week, so I guess I'm just crossing my fingers.

Thanks again!

-- Fred
HP Recommended

This thread is over a year old and I am wondering if anyone has arrived at a definitive cause of this problem?  

I experienced this problem one year ago, a few months after this thread, and ended up sending the machine back to HP for a motherboard replacement (out of warranty, I had to pay for it.)   And the HP reps I spoke with were very helpful - surprisingly so - it was one of the best customer service experiences I've had.  (thanks, HP).

The machine worked fine for one year, until just this past week, and the problem resurfaced.  I just updated the BIOS, so we'll see if that has an effect, and putting in a new video card (the machine got out of the cycle and booted when I removed the video card - maybe that is the problem this time).

Last year I replaced the PSU and replaced the memory cards and nothing worked consistently until I got the new mobo.

Also, here's another interesting fact: the short boot cycle failues lasted 4.5 seconds and the long boot cycle failures lasted 32.5 seconds.  This should tell us something, but I'm not sure what.

I'm seriously considering a new mobo from a different manufacturer and rebuilding my whole machine.  There is seems to be a designed in manufacturer defect in this one.

Bill

HP Recommended

Followup: I replaced the video card and - seemingly more importantly - I updated the bios t the recommendation of a techie friend.   It's a very different bios and the machine has booted up smoothly each time since installing it. Not sure if this is THE solution, but it certainly seems to have helped.
http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5258496/model/5...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.