cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
iamokaye
Level 1
11 11 0 0
Message 21 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too have the same problem with my HP Pavilion Slimline s7617 PC. It started with just an occasional random power off, and seemed more stable on an extension cord from another household circuit, but now, regardless where I'm plugged in, it's happening at least 5 times a day. Has anyone successfully solved this problem?

0 Kudos
ArnoldT
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 22 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've run into similar problems with a PC in the past.  The first time I experienced this was in an older condo I moved into.  After much troubleshooting, I ended up buying a cheap backup UPS battery.  I can't tell you how many times the battery kicked in when the voltage dropped too low in the building.  The system never went down again....until I moved.  After another move, the system was running fine until about a year later.  The battery never kicked in but the system would shut down about 3 times a day.  I got temperature readings and everything looked fine, but out of desperation I moved the my tower PC away from a corner wall, pulled the case cover completely off (blew out all the dust while at it), and ran a room fan on it for about a week.  The system didn't crash.  Eventually I got rid of the fan and just left the case cover pulled off about 5 inches and it ran fine. 

So....you could have electrical probs that might be solved with a UPS or despite your good temperature readings, have a heating/air flow problem.

0 Kudos
iamokaye
Level 1
11 11 0 0
Message 23 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the idea's. I do have a new UPS (backup power has never kicked in and the computer still shuts off)

I'll try slipping the case off and adding a fan to my desk.

0 Kudos
Kunou
Level 1
9 9 0 0
Message 24 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ic3c01d, I hope you and others continue this threat because I also have the same problem, but my PC is an HP Pavilion Slimline s7627c.

Mine turns off exactly like yours, and has been happening ever since Windows XP SP3 came out. However, I've downgraded back to SP2 and even reinstall Windows through HP Recovery multiple times throughout the years (mid 2008 and this year), but still no luck. And to top it all off, it's been shutting down more constantly now.

Your story about ordering recovery disks from HP is pretty much the same as mine, as well. The problem was the tattoo, not the CD models. I had to send my computer to HP, and they fixed the tattoo problem for free. You don't need a warranty on your system for them to do it for free. The problem is called "Code Purple", I believe.

One important thing to note is that HP support itself has told me that HP computers should not be upgraded or changed in any way (hardware wise). I upgraded mine from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, and also replaced the 56K modem with a capture card. Although they did tell me that upgrading the RAM should not be a problem, installing any other hardware (my capture card) was a big no-no to them. Why would they program such a problem if desktops were meant for upgrading however you want as long as the motherboard supports it?

So my theory is that since you upgraded your RAM, your HP computer doesn't want to accept it. I will have to try using my old 1GB RAM (512mb x 2) back and install that useless 56K modem again.

Phew, I'm relieved the piece of crap didn't turn off while I was typing this. 

0 Kudos
Bikerrick
Level 1
15 13 0 1
Message 25 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I was never able to get the HP recover disks to work. I also did not upgrade the ram, the machine is exactly as was bought. We are not the only one to experience this problem, there seems to be a lot of us. I'm sure someone at HP has the solution but for some reason won't come on and tell us what it is. I have been reading this thread for a while now and every time someone asks for a solution the powers that be ask the same questions. How many times do they have to be told, The machine is not overheating, the ram has not been changed, there are no peripherals attached and so on before they give us the info to fix them
0 Kudos
iamokaye
Level 1
11 11 0 0
Message 26 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am still dealing with this very frustrating problem of random power down! I don't think my system ever "drops dead" when it's idle.  I can leave for the weekend and come back an it's still up, then sit down and open my e-mail and down it goes??? I'm not sure this info really helps but it could be a piece to the puzzle.
0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,961 42,200 4,644 12,411
Message 27 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the free  memory mindump analysis utility called WhoCrashed to see what kind of event is causing the issue. Download and run the free utility to essentially use Administrative tools --> event viewer, but in a more user friendly way. This may be your best option. 

regards,

erico 

I am not an HP Employee.
askforhelp
5 4 0 0
Message 28 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended
i have the similar problem. and chatted with the online HP support team. they said the problem should be on the power suppler in the tower or motherboard. fortunately, my PC is in warranty, so they will replace whatever part for me for free.
0 Kudos
iamokaye
Level 1
11 11 0 0
Message 29 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried "WhoCrashed" with great hope. To no avail. I am getting no crash dump. (it still shows 2 crashes form 2007 but nothing newer)

I've had at least 100 random power down crashes without a single file to analyze. Any other ideas? THX

0 Kudos
mrac915
2 2 0 0
Message 30 of 76
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Has anyone (including HP) identified the solution to this extremely frustrating issue?  I have had this issue with our son's computer (also a s7600n model) for a couple of years and have tried everything discussed in this thread to include recommendations from HP support even while the computer was still under warranty.  Unfortunately, nothing has worked .  I just want to determine what the problem is and if it is worth fixing.  Due to this issue, I have not and will probably never buy an HP product again to include their printers.  This experience has demonstrated a poor unresponsive and incompetent HP support.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation