Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dharliquinn Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion a6700f Desktop PC upgrade assistance

Hello all,

I currently have a dilemma. I currently have an HP Pavilion a6700f Desktop PC that I use for recording music. I use the computer program Pro tools 8, but I am trying to make my machine efficient enough to handle the newest version of Protools.  Now it doesn’t do badly, but for the amount of music I am currently doing I need it to function at an optimal level hence I am interested in doing some upgrades. I am new at trying to upgrade computers because usually when they become obsolete I scrap them to get another model, but my music partner told me it may be more cost efficient simply to upgrade my machine. So my questions are what component can I upgrade without having to buy a new computer case. Would I be able to change the motherboard so I can have a faster processor and store more memory? What kind of power supply can fit in my model of HP? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Below are my computer specs, thank you ahead of time.

HP Pavilion a6700f Desktop PC

Motherboard: MCP61PM-HM (Nettle3)

Processor: Phenom X4 9150e

Memory: 4gb

Hard drive: 500 gb

Power Supply 300W

Windows Vista

4 REPLIES
Dean Dean
Dean
6931 719 2748
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the link that has the specifications of your system:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01612528

Memory: Supports upto 8 GB of PC2-6400

Power Supply: Comes with a standard 300W power supply.  You can upgrade it to any standard power supply with the same dimensions. I would suggest not to go beyond 450W.

Changing motherboard & processor would be expensive, I would not recommend that. Just increasing the memory to 8GB will boost most part of the system performance as you are already using 64-bit operating system capable to utilizing full 8GB memory.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
dharliquinn Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the assistance and I will definately look into expanding the memory, out of curiosity though, would the cost of a new motherboard and processor be more costly than a newer computer model? If not I was inquiring if there is a specific type of motherboard and processor that would be compatable with my computer model or would any one do? I simply want to make my machine run powerful programs a bit more fluid. Thank you again.

0 Kudos
Dean Dean
Dean
6931 719 2748
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

New motherboard and processor would definitely not cost you more than a new system. There would be a 40-45% price difference. However, there is a risk of size matching, rear port alignment, insufficient power, low speed Optical drive and hard drive, lower speed ram etc.,

Overall, they do not work hand in hand and deliver full performance if you update only the motherboard and processor.

If you would like to upgrade all, like Motherboard, Processor, RAM, Hard Drive, Optical Drive and Power Supply, it would be equal or more expensive than a new unit.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
0 Kudos
lanlanrola Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think the following can help you

Acebyte Utilities - A multi-functional PC optimization and error repair utility tool
Acebyte Utilities is a powerful and easy to use software, compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7. to allow the optimization and correction of errors in your computer. The utility software offers a collection of several tools to perform various tasks on your PC, from the trivial to those strictly necessary to complete advanced work for expert users.
The full feature offered by Acebyte Utilities helps keep your PC clean and free of errors, correction of errors on the hard drive, free of system crashes, clean junk files and much more.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation