cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
aCoonradt Top Student
Top Student
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion p6120t and adding a graphics card in myself

If I were to purchase the HP Pavilion p6120t with all the starting specs except for the 2.93 ghz processor (highest available option), and then purchased a Radeon HD 4870 and 2 2 Gig sticks of Ram, would I run into any issues? My primary concern is would the PC's included power source be powerful enough to support the parts I added in, though I'm also curious if I there are any other problems I would run into doing that? I ask mainly because there isn't even an option to ad a Radeon 4870  to that model in the HP store, and I can find the card and ram on newegg for cheaper than I would purchasing the upgrades.

In the past I installed a Nvidia 6800 GT and 512mb ram stick to my hp pavilion a714x; that's about the extent of my computer technical know-how. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Grad Student
Grad Student
261 258 11 69
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion p6120t and adding a graphics card in myself

If the motherboard can handle 2GB sticks of RAM, you should be OK-- but not all motherboards can.  The powersupply should be fine, if it's not, that's a real cheap and easy upgrade.

Just retain the original video card / RAM because if you need service from HP in the future you will need to put those back in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My posts are my opinions and experiences from working in the tech industry 🙂
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation