cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ZackSull
Level 1
8 5 0 1
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion p7-1102 Desktop PC Windows 8 64 bit unable to shut down

I have an  HP Pavilion p7-1102 Desktop PCwhich I purchased with Windows 7. After upgrading to Windows 8, the computer will no longer shut down under any circumstances, it seems. I am currently running Windows 8 64-bit, and previously I was running Windows 7 64-bit. I did not do a clean install, I upgraded to Windows 8 using an upgrade disc. Here's what I've tried so far to try and get the computer to shut down:

• "Shut Down" in the charms menu
  • "Restart" in the charms menu
  • Holding shift and pressing "Shut Down" in the charms menu
  • Holding shift and pressing "Restart" in the charms menu
  • Using command prompt "shutdown /s /t 00"
  • Disabling hybrid startup and trying all of these again

None of this has caused the computer to shut down at all. I've also gotten no error messages, the computer simply does nothing whenever I try to shut it down. All I can get the computer to do is hibernate. Everywhere I've searched, I've seen these options and they haven't helped me get my computer to shut down. There is nothing else wrong with my PC, I keep up with Windows updates, have anti-virus protection, and have had no other problems with Windows 8. This problem began happening immediately after I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8. 

Does anyone know of any other methods that might help the computer shut down? I'm at a loss!

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Level 8
Level 8
558 553 40 286
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

First the default for Win8 is a Hybrid-Hybernate state. It is designed for a quicker boot time.

Try Alt+F4

that will close any open application and then if there are no open apps, it will shut down the PC.

or unplug it 😉

good luck

bill

I'm an HP employee
0 Kudos
ZackSull
Level 1
8 5 0 1
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just tried ALT + F4 and it said "Shutting Down" but the screen sat there for more than half an hour and did not shut down. I then had to do a hard shut down. What else can I try?

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
558 553 40 286
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

so what else is going on with this PC?

what is connected (need to know everything that is connected, keyboard, mouse, power, monitor, etc.)

disconnect EVERYTHING except Keyboard, mouse, monitor and power. And then try it.

so the more details you give us the more we can help you...

bill

I'm an HP employee
0 Kudos
ZackSull
Level 1
8 5 0 1
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Connected to my PC:

Monitor (Gateway, DVI plug)

External Hard drive (pluggin in via USB)

Wired mouse (USB)

Bluetooth adapter (USB)

iPod dock (empty, no iPod in the dock, USB)

webcam (Microsoft LifeCam, USB)

speakers (plugged in using jacks in the rear of the PC, 5.1 surround sound)

I unplugged all of this except the mouse and monitor and plugged in a wired keyboard (because my keyboard is bluetooth), and tried to shut down the PC with the same results as before, it wouldn't shut down using any method. Would trying to start in safe mode do any good? 

0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
558 553 40 286
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yeah safe mode might be a good test because then it would only be loading basic drivers. But then it would be a process of elimination to find what piece of software or driver was causing the hang up.

I've see external bootable devices, like hard drives, thumb-drives, and other removable media cause this. As well as printer, iTunes, and even AV software cause it.

when you try shutting down again, press Alt+Tab to see if anything pops up as running. Or check task manager, or services and look for anything associated with your External Hard drive.

btw - best practice for external hard drives that are used to back up data. Don't keep them plugged into the PC... power surge that fries your PC will also fry devices connected to it. Back up to it, unplug it and keep it safe. If it has an external power source - don't keep it plugged in to it. the heat produced from keeping it plugged in will also cause wear and tear on it. bottom line - use it as LITTLE as possible. it will extend its life, and extend the life of your data.

good luck

bill

I'm an HP employee
0 Kudos
ZackSull
Level 1
8 5 0 1
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do use iTunes a lot, every day, in fact, and if that is causing a hang up, it would surely be in use EVERY time I try to shut down the computer. Nothing appears to be running with my Hard Drive when I checked in task manager. My hard drive only has data on it, it is not bootable, so in that sense, it shouldn't interfere. I do have an HP Photosmart all in one printer, scanner, and copier that is attached if that helps at all. And thank you for the advice! I would not want my data to be lost, I will definitely put that to use! Should I look through my startup programs in msconfig and disable anything? Could something there be causing a problem?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jld1945
Level 1
14 10 0 0
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

JLD45

I have disconnected everything except the keyboard and mouse but it still will not shut down using any of the methods suggested earlier. Hope I am following your directions to reply on this thread.

0 Kudos
New member VHE2013
3 3 0 0
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you try the following?

1.  Launch msconfig (Go to Desktop, press Windows key + R key, type msconfig)

2.  Under General tab, select Diagnostic startup. 

3.  Reboot the system and see if the issue still persist.  If it doesn't persist, you are on the right path and this issue is caused possibly by one of startup processes running in your system.

I work on behalf o HP.

Please click the white Kudos star to say thanks.
Please click Accept As Solution if you found my response helpful.
0 Kudos
Level 8
Level 8
558 553 40 286
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Been browsing around the web looking at this issue, and there is a lot of talk about it but no real solutions. What is probably causing the system to not shut down is a hung process or application.

What does that mean?

Something that is installed on the system  is not running correctly and is causing the system to hang instead of shut down, waiting for that app or process to end.

Options?
you can run MS config - try to find the process/program/whatever that is causing it by a process of elimination. Stop one, shutdown restart... etc. until you find it. and then either look for a fix on line for that app or..

there are a number of "recovery" options to try to see if it has something to do with the OS and possible corruption of system files.

System Restore

Refresh

System Recovery

I would actually recommend them in that order. Here is a link that talks about them.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=49504&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&d... 

good luck

bill

I'm an HP employee
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation