Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
davidrichmond54 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion xt973 Desktop PC (US)

i am trying to get a faster browser to run on this desktop with xp operating system . i've tried chrome ,  slimjet,  and i can't get opera to even download. i'm about to try firefox, but does anyone have any suggestions on what will will run on this old and decrepit machine and what newer version of windows or any other OS will work on this machine?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
15439 15384 1437 3418
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion xt973 Desktop PC (US)

davidrichmond54

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I wish I had good news for you -- but I don't ...

First off, HP has dropped support for your PC -- meaning -- there are no HP drivers that can be downloaded for your PC.  That means we are unable to see if there are drivers for Vista or Win7.

Second, the Browser suppliers have mostly dropped support for XP, so any of the newer versions (including FireFox) are most likely NOT going to work.

Third, the slow speed of the Browsing is tied directly to the slower processor and lack of system memory.  With an XP machine, you could be limited to 512MB of system memory, or maybe, even 1GB -- and Browsers are going to perform poorly with that little memory.

Sorry, but there's really nothing you can do to speed up the PC at this late date.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation