Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Reaptress Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Pavillion desktop tower beeps.. and computer will not boot up! HELP!

Hi, I recently turned on my desktop.. I don't use it often because I have a laptop. It powers on fine, but as soon as it goes on the tower beeps, and monitor goes to sleep so I can't get into my desktop at all.. I looked up what the beeps could mean here: http://kb.iu.edu/data/afzy.html

the beeps itself are one short beep first, then a long beep... and it keeps repeating. I looked through all the meanings of these but most of them say a longer beep comes first... so I don't want to jump to conclutions because I'm not to sure.

I could bring in to best buy to have whatever's wrong with the tower fixed, but I'd just like to see if I can get any imput on what's wrong with it first.. or if I could fix this on my own? Please help! Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Provost
Provost
49520 49492 9890 16544
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I think what you are describing could indicate a problem with the Memory.  If you have more than one stick of RAM in your PC, remove them all then re-insert one stick and see if the PC will now boot.  If it doesn't try the same RAM Module in a different slot and try to boot the PC again.  If it still won't boot, remove the RAM and try another Module in case the first one you tried has the problem.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
ajgriswell Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried the memory test like you said to do what does that mean?

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation