Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
20pcAdmin Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Recovery seems to block my Recovery from System Image

HP Pavilion Desktop 500-467C
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

After HP hard drive failure, HP sent and I installed/activated the replacement hard disk, up to a Factory Install (Win 7, 64-bit).  But my efforts to restore to my System Image backup are blocked.  I managed to reach the Windows System Recovery Options panel, from where I select System Image Recovery, which successfully detects the external System Image that I previously backed up, but when I select Next to continue with the recovery, I am blocked by a message indicating that the System Image Recovery requires reformatting the disk where the Recovery Environment is running -- restart.  But neither restarting, nor HP Recovery, nor Windows Recovery, nor booting from the HP-created Windows Repair disc, nor booting from the HP-provided System Recovery discs allow me to restore from my System Image backup.   In desperation, I then formatted the C: drive, but a reboot simply re-installed the Factory image from drive D: (HP Recovery drive).

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
7771 449 840
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @20pcAdmin,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are having some trouble restoring from the back you made of your data. I am happy to assist with this.

Does the hard drive you are restoring to have enough free space to restore the entire back up?

Are you restoring to an empty folder?

Also review the following, but I am sure you are following it properly. HP PCs - Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)  If not try to follow the process and see if there is any change.

Otherwise you may need to contact phone support. Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
20pcAdmin Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Malagris1:

Thank you for your response to my question.  In response to your questions and suggestions:

1.  Yes, the drive I am restoring to has enough space.  The new drive is the same size, make and model of the old (failed) drive.

2. No, I am not restoring to an empty folder.  I am attempting a full image restore, which I expect will replace the contents of the new drive.  Attempted restoration fails with message indicating that new drive must be formatted.

3. Yes, I have read the manual you suggest:  HP PCs - Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7), except that my backup was not performed by HP Recovery Manager because it offers no backup of a System Image.  My backup was performed using the Windows 7 System Image backup.

4. I have contacted HP Phone Support, and was informed that they do not handle restoration because it involves customer data.  I was told I should contact a "local contractor" to try to restore the data.  I am the "local contractor" trying to restore the data, but I do not see a mechanism allowed by HP to restore a Windows 7 System Image.  It seems that the HP recovery methods have incapacitated Windows' ability to restore a System Image -- unless someone can please explain how to restore a System Image for this HP machine.

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, I still flag my question as Unresolved, since I still cannot restore my System Image.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation