cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP Simple Save 1 TB External hard drive backup question following purchase of new computer

HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G3 Microtower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP Simple Save external hard drive 1 TB which saved all of the files from my old HP desktop computer which was old an giving me problems suggesting it might crash and burn so I bought a new HP ProDesk 400. Both desk tops had Windows 7 64 bit OS.  I am not a computer savvy person. The Simple Save external hard drive had about 410 GB of data from my old computer on it and about 590 GB of space left on it.

My computer person transferred all of my files from my old desktop to the new desktop.  I have used my new HP desktop for about a week before I realized I need to back up new files on it. 

I was hoping that I could just plug the HP Simple Save into my new desktop and it would pick up copying only new files from the past week, not the old files it already had saved from my old desktop. However when I ran the back up today on 12/4, an error message came up which said the following: The last back-up did not complete successfully.  I then saw that there is only 87 GB of free space left on the Simple Save and that under today's back-up about 262 GB was used to create a system image and 171 GB went to backup of data. 

So my take on this is that the Simple Save did not pick up where it left off from my old desktop and that it is recognizing the new desktop as a separate computer which it is (I was hoping it had the ability to recognize files as already saved and skip them and only copy new files.  

Questions: 

1) Am I correct that Simple Save cannot recognize files as already saved if they are coming from two different desk tops?

2) I do not want to lose any of my files saved from the old desktop computer to the Simple Save just in case there may have been some glitches in the transfer of my files from my old desktop to my new desktop. If I delete everything (System Image and Data File Backup) saved on the Simple Save with a date of 12/4 (today when I tried to back up the new desktop) will I retain all of my data from the old computer? 

3) What is the purpose of creating a system image of the new desktop which took up 212 GB today. Should I retain it?

4) Is there a way to delete the data files copied today (171 GB) which likely is mostly duplication of files  already on the Simple Save and get the Simple Save to only recognized new files from the past week? 

Thanks for any help. 

Greg28

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation