cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Ray1204
Level 2
34 23 0 4
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

HP Sprout and Oculus Rift

HP Recommended
Will the HP Sprout be able to hand the Oculus Rift? I know that the sprout has a GeForce GT 745A graphics card but will I get by with this?
6 REPLIES 6
AtBo
Level 6
179 173 11 38
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Ray1204
Author
Level 2
34 23 0 4
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Oh wow, didn't even know that the sprout is so under powered. Is the sprout even HDMI 1.3 compilant?
AtBo
Level 6
179 173 11 38
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A nice review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471169,00.asp

Tech specs:

https://sprout.hp.com/us/en/tech-specs/

User manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04496534

I don't see if it's 1.3 compliant.  No mention of that specific version of HDMI for the Sprout.  It does say that the port is output only and not for video input from gaming machines, etc.

You might try Device Manager and take a look to see if the monitor driver or the display adapter mentions whether it is HDMI 1.3.  Looking at the list of drivers I see for the Sprout on the HP downloads page, I don't see any mention of which version of HDMI is supported.  You might try checking the swsetup folder on the C:\.  Look to see if you can identify the video driver and then see if there is a README.  Also, there may be some indication on or around the actual port, itself...

Hogger308
Level 1
11 7 0 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So then to continue. I was told the Sprout Pro was VR compliant. The upgraded I7 processor and 945e video card. I would have thought been enough, but when running steams VR compatibilty test for either Intel HD graphics or Geforce dedicated shows it comes up short.

Not a major concern since I use my Pro for design work, but the VR addition would, I think, add to that experience.

Is it something that HP has been working on?

Hogger308
Level 1
11 7 0 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here, so let down. I had specifically talked to the sales associate about VR. To late to turn it back in, but not the main reason why I picked it up. The 1MP front facing camera is also very much a let down.  I was thinking about VR enhancment when I purchased the Sprout Pro. Cad design finally in 3d would be awsome and very intuitive.There are also games the should be able to run, but don't.

Hogger308
Level 1
11 7 0 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Same here. Talks were very specific about comptibilty. As well as in gaming. I am finding the Intel graphics seem to bypass the video card even with prefered setting set to it. Games I should be able to play with no problem. I simply can't due to lack of recognition of the card. Though I did buy this specifically for design work. The lack of full card use makes me think that even for that purpose frame rate and rendering must be compromised.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation