cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
EnmaAi
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Support Assistant Diagnostics Test buttons not working

HP TouchSmart 300-1020
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have HP Support Assistant version 7.7.34.34, which--I think--is the correct version for my HP TouchSmart 300-1020 with Windows 7 64-bit.

When I try to run a Diagnostics test (optical drive, flash drive, soundcard test, keyboard test, printer test, hard drive, graphics card, microphone, mouse), button clicks (with mouse) for the Diagnostics tests do not work.

Basically...I click the button for the desired Diagnostics test...and nothing happens!

The Troubleshooting buttons apparently function just fine...click one, and a troubleshooter starts.

What can I do to "fix" the Diagnostics button issue?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Level 15
Level 15
21,630 21,254 2,445 8,112
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Emma, welcome to the forum.

You should try reinstalling HPSA.  Sometimes a glitch will occur that will cause the symptoms that you describe.  Reinstalling the program can solve the problem.

Please click the "Thumbs up + button" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

EnmaAi
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

old_geekster, thanks for the welcome.  Unfortunately, reinstalling did not work.  In fact, I uninstalled version 7.7.34, and the Support pages for this computer eventually guided me to install version 6.0.5.4, which also does not work.

When I click on a Troubleshooter or Test (diagnostic) tool, for example the HP Sound Troubleshooter, Soundcard test, and/or Microphone test; I see the cursor change to "waiting" for a fraction of a second--VERY rapid--and then nothing.  No troubleshooter opens.  No test opens.  Nothing.

I suppose this could be a Registry issue, where for some reason (I'm not computer savvy), the "buttons" don't understand where the "HP Sound Troubleshooter," "Soundcard test," and/or "Microphone test" are in the Programs (or wherever they reside on this thing).  Probably the same issue with all the other Troubleshooter and Test buttons--they simply don't work.  All the other functions of the HP Support Assistant seem to be okay (I haven't gone through and tried every single function, but they seem to be okay).  It's just these doggone Troubleshooter and Test buttons!!  They're BROKE!!  :indifferent:

Any other suggestion??  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

You are very welcome.

Since your computer is 6 years old, I suggest that you do a System Recovery.  I do this at least once per year because I like a computer that runs like new without any problems.

Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

Custom build: Corsair 750D Airflow (Full Tower); MSI MEG z390 ACE; i9-9900K processor (OC'd 5.025); Corsair H150i cooler; 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 memory; MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio video card; Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB; Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

old_geekster, thanks again.  I don't consider my issue to be critical enough to do a System Recovery, although I'm sure that action would have solved the issue.

This computer was gifted to me.  The person who bought it did not care for it very well, and when it was given to me I performed a System Recovery at once (it was in pretty sad shape).  I was very impressed by how well it made the computer virtually "like new" again.  At that time, of course, I hadn't yet installed all the programs I wanted to use, nor did I have any personal files on the machine.

Now that I do have all those things on the computer, I think of a System Recovery as a "last-ditch, dire emergency" type fix.  If it's only the Support Assistant that's giving me grief, I'll try and live with it a while longer.  Thanks anyway, for your advice.

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I hear what you are saying.  A System Recovery is normally the last resort for most people.  I keep all of my personal data on external HDD's, so I don't have to worry about it when doing a Recovery.  I do have to install the programs, however.

Signature:

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation