Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HPE-540me
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I upgraded the "HP Support Assistant". It is successfully installed, but upon clicking "check for updates and messages", it gives a message that I am not connected to the internet although I am connected...

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

HP Support Assistant - not connected.png

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I get the same error under the same condition. The strange thing is that the HP Network check says I'm connected to the internet.

HP Recommended

To note that on the same local network, on a Windows 7 pro 64 bit laptop, the same version of HP Support Assistant has no problems.

HP Recommended

As a followup: I had my previous problem when I upgraded from Winddows 8.1 to Windows 10. I recently performed a clean install of Windows 10 on the same computer. Now HP Support Assistant finds an intrnet connection.

HP Recommended

Had same problem.  I found out that I had installed Hyper-V and set a virtual network adapter that was preventing support assistant from connecting.  After removing the Hyper-V adapter - support assistant worked fine.  Just something to try.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

@BOB289 wrote:

Had same problem.  I found out that I had installed Hyper-V and set a virtual network adapter that was preventing support assistant from connecting.  After removing the Hyper-V adapter - support assistant worked fine.  Just something to try.  Hope this helps.

True. I removed the "External Virtual Switch" and HP Support Assistant worked fine.
After recreating the "External Virtual Switch", HP Support Assistant it stopped connecting to the internet...
I didn't mark your reply as Solution in the hope HP would release a fix.
Thank you

HP Recommended

I just installed the latest version, 8.1.52.1, as of 2/17/2016. The same problem still exists. I couldn't just disable the virtual network interfaces. I really don't want to actually remove them just to check for updates.

HP, please do the needful.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Just got this today too! Reading through previous posts I am guessing it is to do with Hyper-V as I have Hyper-V installed too.

Dont know why I bothered installing the HP Support Assistant, Window 10 did me a favour by getting rid of it when I did the Win10 upgrade last year. WIll be removing ASAP.

What chance do we stand if HP cant fix such a simple little bug in other a year in their support tool!!!

HP Recommended

I'm guessing there's still no resolution for this? The Support Assistant is useless without it, and I've got to sort out WTH my display driver crashes constantly...

Any updates for us HP?

TIA!

/RickD

HP Recommended

Found the fix.....  Hope it works for you.

Incorrect bridge setup in windows networking was the underlying issue.

(Thanks to a prior post here I remembered something strange about how I had bridged the adapters years ago after adding vEtherenet to get wifi.)

Step #1 (while you still have internet)

Update to the latest support assistant here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/pl...

Install & reboot.

Step #2

Remove all network bridges. (loose internet)

Recreate network bridge  by selecting/using both WIFI and the stanadard ETHERNET connection.  (and not the vEthernet)

Everything is still enabled, I still have vEthernet setup but no bridge to it.  Prior to this, the internet worked OK over wifi with the occasiona (2x a wee?) necessity to "reset adapter" needed to establish web connection.  Maybe this fixes that issue too?  Time will tell....

Now all is well with the HP Support assistant version 8.3.34.7

(Before fixing, the HP internet diagnostics tool was still finding the internet and indicating there were no problems, but the update part of the app was not connecting to servers.)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.