Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Marzzie Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP T610 / T510 Thin client SCCM write filters

Thin Client T510 / T610
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi,

I am deploying T510 and T610 Thin clients using SCCM 2012 Current Branch.

I captured a Cusomized WES7 image ( initially deployed from the HP 8GB image)

Now I am deploying the image and all goes well, only the last part: Finalizing the Task Sequence fails.

It ends up in "Your computer is being serviced" and the Win7 logon screen.

When I reboot, Windows 7 start with"Starting for the first time".

And keeps doing this, because write-filters is now enabled. I can fix this by logging on as Administrator manually and disable the write filters + reboot. It looks like the TS then finishes.

I followed the document provided by HP: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04920485

And used a Unattend.XML with the settings as described in Appendix-B of this document.

It looks like the Commands from the Unattend.XML work, because Write-filters get enabled.

But Somehow it seems the Tasksequence is not completely finished when the write-filters get enabled.

Pls. any suggestions to get a smooth deployment with write-filters enabled?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
493 493 48 81
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What's the default mode of your Writer Filter? Looks like either FBWF or UWF.

"Your computer is being serviced" is named "Service Mode" involved by Microsoft which is used to apply those windows update when WF is enabled.

Is there any Windows Update Service in your environment might triggered this during the SCCM imaging?

I am an HPI Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HPI.
**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**
0 Kudos
Marzzie Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

For the type of writefilters, EWF is being used. It is activated by the command "ewfmgr c: /enable".

The windows update service in the image is enabled and set to download and install updates automatically.

For test I have enabled the option:

OOBE>
   <ProtectYourPC>3</ProtectYourPC>
</OOBE>

In the unattend.xml to see if that helps, I will post the result.

If there are any other tips, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
493 493 48 81
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would suggest to disable Windows update service in the source image. Instead, add subtask in the template sequence to enable it after image deployment.

One other thing, per my understanding, Microsft only provides windows update solution when FBWF or UWF is enabledon the device side. This is another topic which you might want to double check.

I am an HPI Employee.
0 Kudos
Marzzie Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will try to disable Windows Updates in the image if my test fails, also I will check the windowsupdatelog to see if the system tries to download patches.

Patching will be done with SCCM. As far as I know SCCM latest version supports writefilters when deploying patches and apllications. Is that what you mean?

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
493 493 48 81
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you want to automate the update process - like SCCM server download patch automatically, client check the patch on every reboot, I think there are solutions only for FBWF and UWF.
I am an HPI Employee.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation