Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
andrew Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Total Care Advisor will not install updates?

When I click "Run selected updates" I get a "Error 1721. There is a problem with Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel package vendor." But when I install from Windows Update, it doesn't say anything. It just updates. Is it just this program and do I need to unistall it? Or do I need to re-install the Windows Installer Package?
7 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
43814 3250 13548
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Total Care Advisor is totally buggy,has never worked on my 6 month old laptop even after jumping through all the hoops suggested.I never use it anyway,just bugged me that it didn't work.I even uninstalled it from Control Panel,Programs and Features.You can just set it in the options of the app not to start with Windows if you prefer.

To find updates from HP and install manually  use the button at top of this page "Support and Drivers".

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Intern
Intern
17 1 3
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Update has not worked on my PC for months either. I have been trying everything to get it to work because I believe if it is there it should work. The latest is trying to install an update to HP Update from the update center. The file is sp40926.exe. It is about 4mb, When I try to install it ti fails. The solution from HP seems to be don't use HP Update. see my thread at http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=OSandSW&thread.id=766. It gets to be so frustrating I usually just give up. But it still bugs me
Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. --Cree Indian Prophecy--
0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1250 77 144
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's what you do to fix it. This always works for me.

1) Uninstall HP Update and HP Total Care Advisor from the program list.

2) Reboot the pc.

3) Reinstall HP Update using Recovery Manager by going to Start/All Program/PC Help and Tool and click Recovery Manager.

When the program opens go to Advanced Options, Program Software Reinstallation and go next, then next again and choose HP Update Software from the list, go next and wait for it to reinstall. Then reboot the pc.

4) Important step. You can also try this before the other steps.

Go to start and inside the start search box type "cmd" without the quotes and right above it shows "cmd" with a black icon.

Right-click on cmd and choose Run As Administrator and the command window comes up in elevated mode.

Now type the following commands without the qoutes:

"regsvr32 vbscript.dll" and press enter, then click ok at the notification window then type

"regsvr32 jscript.dll" and press enter, then click ok at the notification window.

Then type exit and reboot the pc.

5) Now you can open up HP Update by going to Start/All Programs/HP Update or start/start search and type update and click HP Update on top.

Step 4 always fixes this.

It took me 1 hour to find this solution.

It's related to a java error and the update 4.8.0.1 for hp updates.

Reply if you got it fixed or if you need further help.

Message Edited by c0rnel on 12-17-2008 09:26 AM
0 Kudos
jgirl400 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi, im having a lot of issues with hp advisor still....i uninstalled it because i wanted to reinstall it, but it won't reinstall! if i go to the recovery manager and get to the list of programs, hp total care advisor is not on that list, because i uninstalled it on the control panel! and there is nothing online that will allow me to download this program again. can you help??
0 Kudos
nobokos Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've done all you suggested ( below ) and still get this result.

can you help?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: HPAdvisor.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 46a4e556

Fault Module Name: UmxSbxw.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.2.98

Fault Module Timestamp: 4c936890

Exception Code: c00000fd

Exception Offset: 00016977

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: e618

Additional Information 2: e618a82da05a40112707f0ab54468b2c

Additional Information 3: 63c4

Additional Information 4: 63c4552c444210f0b7f520eb88980f35

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

Re: HP Total Care Advisor will not install updates?[ New ]
12-17-2008 09:25 AM - last edited on 12-17-2008 09:26 AM

Here's what you do to fix it. This always works for me.

1) Uninstall HP Update and HP Total Care Advisor from the program list.

2) Reboot the pc.

3) Reinstall HP Update using Recovery Manager by going to Start/All Program/PC Help and Tool and click Recovery Manager.

When the program opens go to Advanced Options, Program Software Reinstallation and go next, then next again and choose HP Update Software from the list, go next and wait for it to reinstall. Then reboot the pc.

4) Important step. You can also try this before the other steps.

Go to start and inside the start search box type "cmd" without the quotes and right above it shows "cmd" with a black icon.

Right-click on cmd and choose Run As Administrator and the command window comes up in elevated mode.

Now type the following commands without the qoutes:

"regsvr32 vbscript.dll" and press enter, then click ok at the notification window then type

"regsvr32 jscript.dll" and press enter, then click ok at the notification window.

Then type exit and reboot the pc.

5) Now you can open up HP Update by going to Start/All Programs/HP Update or start/start search and type update and click HP Update on top.

Step 4 always fixes this.

It took me 1 hour to find this solution.

It's related to a java error and the update 4.8.0.1 for hp updates.

Reply if you got it fixed or if you need further help.

Message Edited by c0rnel on 12-17-2008 09:26 AM

0 Kudos
Schoolyard1 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What can i do?

0 Kudos
Joueidi Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi i'm trying hard to installing total care advisor updating this software but didn't make need your help

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation