Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP TouchSmart IQ775 missing wireless LAN drier

HP TouchSmart IQ775
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

So I recently acquired an older desktop HP TocuhSmart IQ775. The product was in good running condition but still had some files that did not belong to me on it so I did a factory reset and completely refreshed the computer. I then proceeded to get Windows Insider so I could install Windows 10 onto this desktop and I have. That is what I'm running right now. The issue I'm having is that the Wireless LAN driver seems to have never been on the computer even before I switched to Windows 10. The computer shows specifications for having Wireless LAN and I've also checked online. I found the driver (HP Wirless LAN driver sp37258) from the HP website but when I went to install it, nothing really happened. The driver did not show up. Either way I believe it's because I have Windows 10 but I just need help getting the wireless LAN driver on this version of Windows (10) for this model computer (Touchsmart IQ 775)

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
117,497 107,678 17,067 26,122
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

In the device manager if the wireless network adapter needs a driver, you will see a device labeled as a Network Controller.

If you see the network controller device in the device manager, please post the hardware ID for it, so I can see what driver it needs.

To find the hardware ID, click on the Network Controller device.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the Network Controller device window.

Now you will see a Property drop down list, and it will be set to Device Description.

Drop down on that list and select the 3rd item (Hardware ID's).

Post the top string of characters that you see in the window.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screenshot (1).pngPCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_2A40103C&REV_A3

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is the hardware ID for the ethernet controller (wired network adapter).

I can see from your screen shot that there is no wireless network adapter hardware present at all.

Most likely the wireless network adapter has died on you.

There are no additional devices needing drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What exactly does it mean for it have died on me? Am I not able to have a wireless connection on this computer any longer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What I mean is the wireless hardware has ceased to function, has suffered a catastrophic failure, as in to die.

I think the easiest thing to do in your situation would be to purchase an external USB wireless network adapter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That actually seems a lot better than going through any extra trouble. Is the adapter that died a physical device that can be swapped out?

Also, is any external USB acceptable or do I ahve to get a matching one to the internet provider that I have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the adapter that died can be swapped out, but you would have to get the same model and part number as the one that is installed currently, otherwise it probably won't work.

HP used to employ a BIOS lockout system back when that PC was made, that prevented an unsupported wireless network adapter from being installed.  Unsupported adapters will cause the PC to halt on boot until the unsupported wlan card is removed.

Also it is quite possible even if you did replace the existing one with the same part number, Windows 10 may not have a driver for it.  Old wireless network adapters and Windows 10 are one of the most common issues I see on this forum.  They don't work at all, or they constantly drop network connections.

That is why I recommend you get an external usb wireless network adapter that is compatible with W10, to avoid any difficulty.

Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Makes sense, so will any wirless network adapter work? Like a Belkin or Linksys one from Walmart that Windows 10 supports? 

Or do I have to get a specific one?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can get any one you want that would work with W10, which is why it is so easy to add wireless networking to any desktop PC.

I wouldn't want one of those things sticking out from a notebook since you move them around a lot, and could possibly break the thing off if you accidentally bump or drop the notebook.

But for a desktop, they are ideal.  No need to take anything apart, no need to wonder if it is compatible with your PC...

What I recommend is before you run out and buy the first one you see, is to do some online browsing and read other customers reviews regarding whatever wireless adapter you are interested in.

You can get dual band wireless N ones, you can get wireless AC ones...such an index of possibilities....

This will get you started...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=USB+wireless+netowork+...

I use this one on my 3 HP desktop PC's.  It works great on Windows Vista - Windows 10, and it comes with an extension usb cable/cradle, so you can position it for the best reception if you have to.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation