Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
spratt Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 1 of 16
Flag Post

HP Touchsmart Envy 20-d010 all in one will not start / display anything on the screen.

Envy 20-d010t
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently, my TouchSmart Envy 20-d010t quit working.   I checked to see if it was the hard drive by putting a new hard drive in and it still does not work.   Symptons are when it starts up, nothing comes up on the screen.   THe green light is on at the power adapter.   A light is also on at where the power cord plugs into the PC.   When it tries to start, you can hear the fan running and the hard drive start spinning up.   Other suggestions on what the problem could be.

Regards,

Shawn

15 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
3533 181 475
Message 2 of 16
Flag Post

HP Touchsmart Envy 20-d010 all in one will not start / display anything on the screen.

@spratt,

Hello and thanks for posting on the HP support forums.  If you start your system and there is no screen responce at all but you hear the fans the video controller may have failed.  

Is there any beep codes or are any of the LEDs flashing.

If you can post back with the full model and product number I will provide you the link to the maintenance manual so you can check the connections.

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Please post back when you have a chance.  Thanks again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
spratt Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 3 of 16
Flag Post

Product No is COMO5AV#ABA, Model No. 20-d010t

THere are no other beeps, flashing lights, etc.

0 Kudos
Mgre3 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 4
Message 4 of 16
Flag Post

I have the envy 23 and have the exact same problem.  Wife got a wdf violation and pc kept cycling restarting until we got a blank black screen. I too hear hard drive start have fans working cannot get keyboard to turn on (have wireless that came with it) so cant get to bios.  Tried putting in start up disk, the disk drive starts but cannot see if it's doing anything as screen is black.  Please let me know or I will cont. to follow post to find answer.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3533 181 475
Message 5 of 16
Flag Post

@Mgre3, @spratt,

Hello and thanks for posting back.  When you fire up your systems use a flashlight on the screen to see if you can see anything happening in the back ground.  If the inverter has failed then you will seen the screen as normal.  The inverter controls the back light and it is what makes the screen vissable.

Maintenance and Service Guide

If you see nothing in the background then the graphics card has failed or the screen has failed.  In either case you will need to contact HP support.  Use this link to contact the correct department.

Contact HP Support.

Please let me know how things go.  Thanks again for the post and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Mgre3 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 4
Message 6 of 16
Flag Post

I tried the flashlight trick and see nothing. Why would it not "boot" the wireless keyboard also? USB ports have no response when machine is on. I tried pulling the memory and got the usual beeps when no memory installed so it is trying to start something. But not understanding what. When I go to the contact hp link its a constant run around page after page after page of the things I've tried since I his first started.
0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
3533 181 475
Message 7 of 16
Flag Post

@Mgre3, @spratt,

Hello again.  So at this point if there is no power response what so ever you have a serious hardware issue.  You will need to contact HP phone support for repair options.

Here is the link to help you with that.

Contact HP Suppoprt

Please let me know if they have a fix for you.  Thanks again and have a great day.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Mgre3 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 4
Message 8 of 16
Flag Post

Hey DH5R, thanks for the follow up. I do have power to HDD, DVD Drive, and lights. I even pulled out he ram and got the error beeps. The power issue is to the USB ports for keyboard to try to see if I can get bios to come up. There seems to be a few with the exact problem. Is this something HP will address as a whole? It also seems as it goes hand in hand with win 10 as every other I have found with this problem is a win 10 error prior.
0 Kudos
spratt Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 9 of 16
Flag Post

I checked in with the HP support link and my computer is out of waranty.   If the indication is that this is a video controller issue, what is the URL to order that part?   Can I order it?   Taking it to a repair person is almost not worth it given they will most likely charge a few hunderd to get fixed...If I can fix it myself (I am capable), that will save me.   But if the cost of the controller is high enough, I might as well just by a new one.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Mgre3 Tutor
Tutor
17 0 4
Message 10 of 16
Flag Post

I believe I found the vid control online for $39. I will look for it again and post link. I have taken mine out to look for anything on the card that looks like it is shot and nothing visible. Have a hard time coming to terms that, this is the issue. Have read quite a few posts from others with the exact problem. During the windows boot cycle and crash that it would kill a video card and it happen to so many others. You would hope HP would take a look as to what's going on.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation