Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yep, you are right, you are missing something 🙂

I need fast access time mechanical HDD drive for my storage.

I may toss in a 6TB drive into my Z1 G1 soon instead 3TB that I have now.

The Z1 G1 supports 2 SSD drives, but they are 2.5" both.

You cannot put a 3.5" AND a 2.5" drive by default.

If I had a goddamn mSATA in G1 i would not have to invent and mod some magic and would have left my 3.5" drive alone in the tray and would have used mSATA instead of a 2.5" that now is sitting on top of my 3.5".

Take a look at the picture above, you will see what I'm talking about.

HP Recommended

"what is the need for mSATA"

More drive hook ups is better 🙂

In fact' I spend hours looking for the possiblity of an mSata port splitter. None can be found (:

Personally, I do not want standard drives running above 5400rpm because I do not want heat issues.

I would love to see 2tb mSatas. And, I would love to see the G3 with 3 Msata ports.

This brings another question. Can both mSata ports in the G2 accecpt mSata drives if you pull the wifi?

HP Recommended

Ah, I see what you mean now but mSATA and a 2.5" SSD regarding heat and power consumption are pretty much the same. If you need that much more storage than 2x 2.5: SSD, then  a NAS would be the go - that is what I've got. I've got an Intel 250gb drive that had 60gb remaining and another 1tb on a Synology NAS.

If you have the G2 machine the only way to know for sure would be to ditch the WiFi and try.

Regarding the original Z1, why bother with the 3.5"?

There are certain trade-offs with an AiO. The HP Z1 is by far the best.

HP Recommended

Ok, this is clear enough... miniPCIe slots (unfortunately) do not accept mSATA SSDs in 1st generation of Z1 Workstation and we have two (2) empty miniPCIe unusable slots!

Another problem is that i tried to upgrade the WLAN - Bluetooth combo card to Intel AC 7260 802.11ac Wi-Fi -bluetooth and it is not fully compatible either!!! WLAN is working but Bluetooth does not and i have not found anyone that have managed to make it work!

HP Recommended

One thing I do not like about the mSata slots is they are not quick plug in/out like everything else on the Z1. The cards must be screwed in.

HP Recommended
This is what really bothers you?

What about the fact that mSata SSDs do not work at all on Z1 G1?
HP Recommended

Yeah, it bothers me. Anyone know what size those screws are? I had to steal one from the wifi card to install the mSata drive in my G2. Sure athanaso, I would love to have these drives in my Z1, and am confused about what to do with them. It makes about as much sense as making a car with a trunk that carries 6 spare tires.

HP Recommended

FYI...Just found out the screw size. M2x2.5mm flat head. The standard flat head screw has a beveled underside that sinks into the mSata card holes. If you use a screw with a flat underside, try 3mm long since it does not sink into the mSata card holes. Recommend stainless or nickle coating instead of steam oxide (black). Steam oxide is cheap and can corrode and tends to not conduct(ground) properly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.